Grease

I have a few different tubs, of which moly is one, but I also have a tub of silicone grease for seals....
Completly agree...there are other things you need, I too keep a tube of silicone lubricant, RTV, copperslip, supercrack, loctite etc....the thing I never use to the point of the tin almost rusting through now is wd40......I rarely seem to need to disperse water.....and as it doesn't do anything else, it don't get used much....

@Imlach 😂....... waits for this weeks new usage..........

I just use automobile grease now after finding that phil's tenacious grease was pretty much the same stuff I got at Canadian Tire for my car. I've toyed with the idea of marine grease, but never acted on it.

I use Power Up Lubricants Thixogrease and Autol Top 2000.
Autol Top 2000 is the same as Shimano grease.

Castrol Moly for pretty much everything that moves but I also have a very old tube of Manitou M-prep that I use on fork bearings. Copper for threads and any static contact between dissimilar metals.

Back in the 80's i ised the same grease for eveything. I am pretty sure it was Castrol LM that we had a pot of. I have used special greases, over the years, in a variety of applications, but i think a regularly maintained/stripped bicycle just needs a pretty basic grease for everything that moves, or gets done up.

There is an awful amount of absolute b@llox in the world of bicycle marketing, but these clowns might be top of the pile with a "gravel specific grease" in their gravel rear mech cage....

cyclingceramic.com

Back in the 80's i ised the same grease for eveything. I am pretty sure it was Castrol LM that we had a pot of. I have used special greases, over the years, in a variety of applications, but i think a regularly maintained/stripped bicycle just needs a pretty basic grease for everything that moves, or gets done up.

There is an awful amount of absolute b@llox in the world of bicycle marketing, but these clowns might be top of the pile with a "gravel specific grease" in their gravel rear mech cage....

cyclingceramic.com
1676448882651.png
€155 for 5 bearings!!! And virtually non-existent friction 🤡

take all the grease out of a standard ball bearing and you'll get a pretty low friction rating too.
add back in grease and you get stiction, which you'd get on ceramic bearings too if you greased them.
:)

Back