Grease

+1 on the Silkolene RG2. Almost on to the second tub of my lifetime! I invested in a mini grease gun a few weeks ago and it’s a big upgrade over the plastic syringe I used to use.

This is all good stuff; not what I expected tbh. So it doesn't look like any of the bicycle brands' products get a look in?

ok, so i am really sad when it comes to grease. i have preferences for different jobs.

first is the obvious one, Park tool grease, dark green in colour, pretty thick, i use this on hubs, ball bearing headsets etc. generally i quite like it. pt grease.jpg

next up is Motorex, i think this is the nearest thing to genuine shimano original grease, it's thinner than the park tool grease but i do like it, again ball bearing hubs and headsets.
motorex.jpg

next up is Cyclon grease, they call it "course grease", it's very thick which i like, it's sort of tan in colour, great for ball bearings etc.
cyclon grease.jpg

the next one i like is also from Cyclon, they call it sealing paste, it's for sealed headset bearings etc, it's not really designed to be a grease, it's barrier to put around sealed bearings, it's really thick, it's almost white, and i really like it.

sealing paste.jpg

then lastly, good old fashioned copper anti seize, i use this on threads, for putting BB's in frames etc, because remember, grease is for bearings, although you can use it on threads it's not really what it is designed for, so copper anti seize is better and it tends to sty where it's supposed to be, grease will dry out.

copper anti seize.jpg

A few threads on here covering the different greases.

For bearings i have always used Silkolene Pro RG2, the best and its red, what more do you need :) it also lasts a lifetime if you buy a tub.

View attachment 698563

I too bought a tub of this years back - from the motorbike place behind Ralph Colemans in Taunton. It's nearly all gone, and the price has quadrupled since then... Because it's synthetic it's also good for elastomers and plastic bushes on FSRs. (good for inserting poly bushes into suspension arms on my old cars too)

Copper grease for anti-seize naturally.

Back