Electronic Groupsets.....good idea or utterly pointless for most people ?

Got ya...thank you. Much appreciated.
Have a look at some of the 'long term' reviews, as in a 1000 or so miles. (SRAM Transmission, not the other stuff.
The advantage there is they've built it around a system so can redefine where things go and importantly remove th traditional mech hanger.
It does require a different drop out (there has been a new standard for a while)

I don't see any reason why a cable cannot be used with the setup, but it adds extra points of tangle and cable to cause friction. The bain of any cable setup.

And anyway electric shifting is also retro. In the pre 98 era.

I guess as a preferer of SS I am unlikely to reach electronic shifting.
think-about-it-reece-simpson.gif

It's not just the lithium footprint though is it.
It's the copper footprint, the semiconductor footprint.
How are circuitboards recycled? (they aren't; they're incinerated)
And if it costs more, then it's generally worse for the environment because cost is a reflection of material extraction, processing, manufacturing and transportation.

7. Easy set up is a claimed advantage, but just how hard is it for somebody with even basic mechanical aptitude to get a mechanical system working sweetly ?, a quick twist of a barrel, a tiny tweak of a limit screw....job done
Agree with you. I've been using SRAM and find setting up a mare. And as for fine tuning on the move it's plane dangerous. My cable SRAM is simple to set up and fine tune. No need to switch on the wife's mobile (I don't have a mobile) I keep the app on her phone. Don't get me wrong I love my AXIS XX except for the fine tuning. Maybe it's me and the fine tuning?? Even the 1 hour charge is not a pain.

Electronic groupsets look great. I'd love to try one. I suspect they wouldn't suit me TBH.

Also, why derail this into a thread about environmental issues? (Rhetorical question - doesn't require an answer). It's not a route you want to go down unless you're a childless hermit who lives under a rock and lives on grass. As you're on an internet forum, I find that hill to die on laughable.

Fwiw; Retrobike is a pretty amazing place with some truly wonderful people. Its also a generally positive and supportive community. You've received some negative responses (by retrobike standards) to several of your threads now (Guilty, Your Honour), as it seems that you just want to rant (albeit carefully, and perhaps passive-aggressively) about modern bikes and the price of them. Most of us are cyclists, not just retrogrouches*, so don't feel the need to bash everything modern.
I don't want to make you feel unwelcome, you are, and it's not my place to judge who's right or wrong, or even to stifle your right to an opinion, but perhaps you've misread the audience slightly? Get involved with some of the awesome people and general silliness here, pull up a chair and hide your wallet. But, maybe leave some of the resentment at the door?

2 wheels = good.

Peace.

* LGF, I'm looking at you.
Actually, you are right, this is a great forum and this thread has prompted some good exchange of views, as have my other threads, of course there are always those that take things way too seriously and feel they need to offer patronising advice which is rather amusing but I will continue to add the odd post and there is a wonderful feature....the "ignore button"

…And anyway electric shifting is also retro. In the pre 98 era.”

^^ This. Mavic had a go way back in the early 90’s with Zap but the tech just wasn’t there. There has been demand for electronic shifting for more than 30 years, it’s more retro than V brakes (not that I class those as retro but that’s a whole other thread).

A friend showed me an electronic shifting front mech from 88 on a rare bike he’s acquired which pushes the chainring out by a small motor to move the chain across. The chainring is on a hinge for about a quarter. Believe he said it was browning , and Suntour.

Back