Electronic Groupsets.....good idea or utterly pointless for most people ?

retrogrouch? Me??

blimey....

anyway, I once repurposed Di2 intp a wireless version for use on hand cycles where hands may not have the strength or the agility (through disability or post accident recovery}. It worked very well but I was beaten to it by proper versions but it meant elbows or any part could in theory change the gears

at the bike shop it was easy to set up and popular but pricey

personally I'm happy with what I have but am more upset by the term 'retrogrouch' than just about anything else!

Electronic groupsets look great. I'd love to try one. I suspect they wouldn't suit me TBH.

Also, why derail this into a thread about environmental issues? (Rhetorical question - doesn't require an answer). It's not a route you want to go down unless you're a childless hermit who lives under a rock and lives on grass. As you're on an internet forum, I find that hill to die on laughable.

Fwiw; Retrobike is a pretty amazing place with some truly wonderful people. Its also a generally positive and supportive community. You've received some negative responses (by retrobike standards) to several of your threads now (Guilty, Your Honour), as it seems that you just want to rant (albeit carefully, and perhaps passive-aggressively) about modern bikes and the price of them. Most of us are cyclists, not just retrogrouches*, so don't feel the need to bash everything modern.
I don't want to make you feel unwelcome, you are, and it's not my place to judge who's right or wrong, or even to stifle your right to an opinion, but perhaps you've misread the audience slightly? Get involved with some of the awesome people and general silliness here, pull up a chair and hide your wallet. But, maybe leave some of the resentment at the door?

2 wheels = good.

Peace.

* LGF, I'm looking at you.

Hits the nail on the head this one

I like bikes. Modern , retro , road , gravel , trials , mtb, bmx , DH , motorbikes I don’t care which. I get some people don’t like a particular sort but at least have some merit and legitimacy to the rants.

No , modern stuff isn’t perfect but it’s pretty obvious you don’t have much knowledge/history with them either to know their true issues or form a true opinion after using them at length as mostly it came down to cost (which we all know they are expensive now )

If I was ranting about modern …. Well pressfit BB, millions of BB standards , super boost , proprietary stems/ seatposts would be a good start on stuff that’s just awkward for the sake of it (and shit)

Oh and don’t get me started on the fact that my new road bike needed a £55 manufacturer bottle cage as others don’t fit

1. Works better - perfect shifts every time
2. Easier to set up
3. Never needs adjustment
4. Cleaner with no cables
5. Stronger rear mechs
6. Battery’s can be charged quickly anywhere with a USB connection
7. Sram batteries are easy to carry and change
8. Multi shifting
9. Personalise your shift set up
10. Data can be pulled to see gear use
11. Phone notifies if battery low
12. No cables to snap
13. Front mech trims with rear on Di2 for full use of gears
14. Auto shift and syncronised shift on Di2
Nobody has ever called me 'rocket surgeon' before, so could you tell me what you mean by "strong rear mechs"? I just want to have a better understanding.

I happily use some modern components, but my consideration of electronic groupsets ends at mking one of the more sustainable forms of transport less sustainable.

Also, why derail this into a thread about environmental issues? (Rhetorical question - doesn't require an answer). It's not a route you want to go down unless you're a childless hermit who lives under a rock and lives on grass. As you're on an internet forum, I find that hill to die on laughable.

Yes, similar arguments to this are often used. They are helpful in reminding us that we can ways find ways to live more sustainably, but the logic that you are living less sustainably in one aspect of your life, therefore you should give up on keeping other aspects sustainable seems weak to me.

I happily use some modern components, but my consideration of electronic groupsets ends at mking one of the more sustainable forms of transport less sustainable.

Yes, similar arguments to this are often used. They are helpful in reminding us that we can ways find ways to live more sustainably, but the logic that you are living less sustainably in one aspect of your life, therefore you should give up on keeping other aspects sustainable seems weak to me.

100%

I actually do live a pretty frugal life, most of the things I own are second hand, use less than my (UK based) fair share of electricity, gas, water etc. No kids. But I wouldn't consider ANY first-world life to be good for the environment. I'm still a consumer.

I see it as every other cycling innovation and just like M900 XTR bitd, or early disc brakes, or early suspension forks, I can't afford it right now.

I'm sure it will come down to my price point though and much like 1x, I'll end up buying a newish bike and electronic shifting will be installed. Much like 1x I'll probably just shrug and go for a ride. Won't be buying Sram though, terrible stuff!

Back