Electronic Groupsets.....good idea or utterly pointless for most people ?

Some of you lot need a reminder and reprogramming, you're straying and being lured by modern fangled V-Brakes, grippy large 2.2"+ tyres and putting your front rings at the back, let alone electronic shifting...

Go watch this and see what 'modern' technology really is.

I'm a luddite, i'll stick to cables, 26" wheels and 3x9.
I feel much the same way.
I have still two bikes that are 3x9.
Possibly thinking about upgrading them to 3x10 (although full length gear housing is more of a problem then)

Still, it's really not that bad.
I smoked this rider a few weeks ago on his 1x setup (uphill).😂

I'm finding these new electronic groupsets would simply be too pricey for me now that I am doing more training miles again.
Well the cassettes are anyway. Stupid pricing now it is.🤕

Trying to spread the cost out a bit over multiple bikes in order to lower the average cost per mile.
Again, that's another reason for not wanting to go electronic, because electronic x5 bikes = house deposit level prices. No thanks.

Plus, I don't want some stupid app telling me I can't use a nice tightly-spaced 11-21 or 12-23T cassette or whatever.🙂

It's all in the name of evolution & improvement but is it really a step forward. The added complexity & costs just get in the way of what should be a simple machine - The Bike.

I mainly ride on the road, long day rides, sportives, foreign holidays etc. I had a new bike back in 2016, full carbon, Ultegra 6800 etc. The way that bike has become dated is insane. Just on appearance, shape design & being rim braked etc, the industry trends have totally left it behind. I wouldn't be so bothered but I do wonder about the availability of things like decent wheels or even brake blocks in the future. Never has the component industry forged ahead with such determination as to render peoples old componentry or whole bikes as defunct.

the new top end sram is 160quid for a chain. as someone who logs a lot of miles, thats a massive negative. rear derailleurs are still a wear item, the pivots will eventually wear, the new top end sram is 650 quid.
we're at a point of exceptionally small marginal gains for a massive price tag.

Back