Dyna-tec frame failure caught on camera

Didn't watch the whole video (I'm one of the lazy ones) but it looked very minty, had it had a re-spray / powder coat? If so that could have been a contributing factor? Who knows what magic mix Raleigh stuck them together with.

Didn't watch the whole video (I'm one of the lazy ones) but it looked very minty, had it had a re-spray / powder coat? If so that could have been a contributing factor? Who knows what magic mix Raleigh stuck them together with.
It had been resprayed, I did wonder if that could contribute. It wasn’t clear if it had been baked. Is there anything you can do to check these bonded joints or safeguard them?

It had been resprayed, I did wonder if that could contribute. It wasn’t clear if it had been baked. Is there anything you can do to check these bonded joints or safeguard them?
To test simply ride them over railway crossings at speed on 23c tyres at 150psi 🙃

As for safeguarding, keep away from solvents / exciting chemicals and high temperatures would likely be sensible precautions if I had to hazard a guess.

Presumably, with the right prep and adhesive it could be ridden again although I can completely understand why the chap wouldn't want to go near it again!

Thanks for sharing that video. I love this chap's manner and enthusiasm.
I've known a few people have dynatech frame failures without any baking etc, so i think it is probably an age/QC issue.
The only frame i ever had fail horrendously was a terrible old lugged raleigh where the head tube parted company with the rest of the frame when i was riding. Not so much fun. So maybe more of a general QC issue back in the not so good old days.

Back