Do you people wear helmets and gloves??

Horse or bike, always wear a helmet... Had a spill off the bike recently where not wearing a helmet would potentially have meant head meeting rocks, and falling off a horse without a lid doesn't bear thinking about!

Gloves, generally only when it's cold or a particularly long ride.

Depends on the bike. I don't bother with gloves unless I'm riding a bike with a head down position and there's lots of weight on my hands, or it's cold. When it's really cold, I wear cotton gloves with rubber coating as sold at builders merchants for about £1.
My favourite fingerless gloves were made by Caratti, but I don't think you can buy them anymore.

do all these helmet wearers use full face helmets ?

or isnt the face as important as the rest of the head ? wont someone please think of the jaw injuries

perry":2r95byyl said:
do all these helmet wearers use full face helmets ?

or isnt the face as important as the rest of the head ? wont someone please think of the jaw injuries

:LOL:

I think it's the brain that is the most important part...since it controls everything else. Much as I love my jaw, if it broke, it's repairable.

i know of a guy who had a big off on a bmx track and shattered his jaw pretty badly , spent a while in hospital for it . he now uses a troy lee full face

nearest to bumping my head was putting a scar on my chin and a broken elbow . a normal helmet wouldnt have done anything , a full face might have saved some blood but it could have also caused a neck injury , no way of knowing but where do you draw the line ?

perry":34163ct3 said:
i know of a guy who had a big off on a bmx track and shattered his jaw pretty badly , spent a while in hospital for it . he now uses a troy lee full face

nearest to bumping my head was putting a scar on my chin and a broken elbow . a normal helmet wouldnt have done anything , a full face might have saved some blood but it could have also caused a neck injury , no way of knowing but where do you draw the line ?

DH'ers have started wearing Leatt Neck braces, can't see it moving beyond the pro world though...mind you they probably said that about helmets!

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=94

Ok you guys have scared the crap out of me to find my helmet and i will wear it when i go off roading.

What gloves are best around for good money nothing that is really expensive though.

rojo":3lmh73l8 said:
Ok you guys have scared the crap out of me to find my helmet and i will wear it when i go off roading.

What gloves are best around for good money nothing that is really expensive though.

marigolds in pink

I'm not convinced that helmets have the life-saving effect that their promoters suggest.

BUT, I have had some big stacks where it definitely reduced the severity. I'll not claim that without it I'd be being fed by my mum. ;)

I have seen a friend's nasty 'off' where he slid on his front down a gritty track for 10 metres or so. The thickness of the helmet kept most of his face off the ground and drastically reduced his injuries.
Incidentally Oakleys have a very sharp inside to the plastic hinges which ripped an eyelid open after the glasses' arm separated.

So on balance a helmet does little harm and some good, so I wear one.

Last year I had a fairly high speed tumble whilst out with a mate, I was wearing a hlemet but even still cannot remember about 6 hours of that evening. I realised it was bad when my sister called in the morning and I explained i'd had a nasty fall, she replied, "i know, you told me last night"..at that point I was a little scared!

Worst bit was living out in the sticks, apparantly once back at the flat I told my mate not to call an ambulance as it wasnt too serious, however suggested a taxi ride in to Oxford to get a once over, apparantly no Taxi would take us as they assumed I was a drunk- puke hazzard! (it was late evening by this time)

So We went in the morning instead. (I then had to drop into work...looking like a train wreck...and later that afternoon was due to fly out to barcalona for a festival!...an amazingly uncomfortable week followed!)

Then Earlier this year I took a spill on a rather large jump again I remember my head impacting but the helmet did a great job and I was fine. (collar bone smashed itself up though)

Moral of the story...wear a helmet... I suspect I may have been quite seriously screwed on the first one if I didnt have a helmet on!

Latest posts

Back