Do led's blow

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
I am thinking of putting led strips on my bike in vaious places (pics when I have done it) and I am thinking about running them off one battery pack.
Red ones are 5v and white ones are 4.5v.
My question it, would they all be ok running off a 6v pp3 9v battery (small for space), or better running off a 6v (4 x aa battery holder).
I dont know if the led's would burn out with too much current flowing through or they would just be brighter.

They would be brighter but will not last as long. They blow just like any electronics with too much current/voltage.
I would say place a resistor to restrict the current but that just uses more power. Though these don't sound like standalone LEDs as the voltage is too high.
Any links to the product?

Weatherproofing ?

FluffyChicken":3r7jdgdw said:
They would be brighter but will not last as long. They blow just like any electronics with too much current/voltage.
I would say place a resistor to restrict the current but that just uses more power. Though these don't sound like standalone LEDs as the voltage is too high.
Any links to the product?

Weatherproofing ?

These white led's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/led-strip-Pur ... true&rt=nc
These red led's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Strip-Lig ... true&rt=nc

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just run them off the 4.5V box there. The USB set should trigger if not just a little bit dimmer. A 9V Battery has a low capacity as they're just a bunch of button cells, compared to the AA.
You could always move to AAA pack and use rechargeables.

You could try 4xNiMh cells in a module. That's ~4.8V
Fit the module somewhere it might fit, seat post, steerertube...

Thanks. I was thinking of using all of the lights on one battery pack and one switch. I have 2 x white sets and 1 x red set. Would they all work just as one set does or would they work dimmer because there are more to light up. I was also thinking of a bottle dynamo to run them. Not sure if it would as AC to DC.

Use a driver circuit. That flashes the leds at a very high rate and makes th last thousands of hours longer as well as longer battery time. There's kits and diy all over the net.

Yeah should be fairly easy to knock something up with a triple five timer.

Back