Cycling jacket suggestions waterproof but cool!

Re:

I've yet to find any true waterproof that doesn't 'boil me in the bag' from the slightest exertion.
Because of this I've returned to an old Ventile jacket. This is weird stuff, not properly waterproof when used in single layer, its bulky and hot in double layer (+ expensive!). As it's cotton, it also needs to swell-up with water to become 'waterproof' so you'll always feel some damp with a single layer. And then it feels like wet cardboard! :facepalm:
BUT despite all that's crap about it, if you occasionally treat the surface with a hydrophobic spray, it will keep you 'adequately' dry for about 2-4hrs.
Ventile's one big advantage is that it's much more breathable and comfortable than other waterproofs I've tried, even when wet. I keep mine on all the time as a windproof, and have found this to be far better than treated Pertex jackets, which are less breathable and water resistant.
Finally, Ventile is incredibly tough and will last for years (decades!).
As it's not coated or laminated it can be patched easily...but it's pretty thorn/crash proof - you're not gonna tear it. Oh, and being cotton it's quiet, which I really like.
It is expensive, but you can probably find a single-layer jacket under £100..

Re:

Whatever you opt for, if you want something truly waterproof then something otherwise well vented and lightweight would do the trick. I use Goretex with venting and have no problems at all, and once the rain comes it works really well. Goretex wet weather performance is excellent generally.

Re: Re:

PurpleFrog":3qyotyvb said:
a pertex windbreaker treated with Nikwax.

This is exactly what I used to do around 1994-5 when my retrobike was new and I couldn't afford Gore-Tex. I used to cycle to work every day in all weathers and go off road all year round at the weekend in a fleece with a purple and blue Pace Racing Pertex windshell over the top. I don't remember ever getting really soaked through.

If you want to keep water out, a membrane waterproof will be fine, just ride slower. If you're bombing around, accept that you're going to get wet from sweat and keep a change of clothes at your destination.

I've got two current waterproof bike jackets, an Altura Night vision which is surprisingly good for the price, good because it's well vented so you don't sweat too much unless you wear a pack to cover the vents. The other one is a dhb Southsea jacket from Wiggle, they don't make them any more and I wish I'd bought two before they discontinued them, it's great. It has a tweedy sort of finish on the outside so it doesn't look like a waterproof and is a membrane inside, very weatherproof and I wear it more off the bike than on it these days. If you can find one of those, snap it up!

Re:

THe other thing to remember when considering what is or isn't expensive is that you usually get what you pay for and the quality makes your rides more enjoyable and they last longer.
My winter goretex jacket is now 15 years old and still going strong.

Back