Compact crankset?

:cool: Certainly I twiddled my triple past a fair few struggling to turn a 39T on the Surrey Legs of Steel the other year.

Re:

hey lads, I didn't say triples were no good.
They certainly have their place, and I can see me having one in 10 years

But for me they still look crap.... not really in a lack of cred sense, just aesthetically, they spoil the lines of a bike. Even a tourer or MTB looks better with a double.

You won't sway my opinion .... but then it is just that - an opinion

Re:

52-42 is all you need on the front and a 21 on the back unladen ;) For touring I'd consider a 39x24 but only under protest!

Re: Re:

pigman":3st5a2lz said:
hey lads, I didn't say triples were no good.
They certainly have their place, and I can see me having one in 10 years

But for me they still look crap.... not really in a lack of cred sense, just aesthetically, they spoil the lines of a bike. Even a tourer or MTB looks better with a double.

You won't sway my opinion .... but then it is just that - an opinion

Right there with you, pigman. I'd rather walk up a hill than mount a triple on a racing bike. Having said that, I don't have Fausto's legs, so I do modify my gearing to the maximum a short cage derailleur will handle (I won't put an MTB derailer on a racing bike either).

non-fixie":3tkxc7tt said:
Right there with you, pigman. I'd rather walk up a hill than mount a triple on a racing bike. Having said that, I don't have Fausto's legs, so I do modify my gearing to the maximum a short cage derailleur will handle (I won't put an MTB derailer on a racing bike either).

says the person living in the Netherlands where practically a quarter of the country is below sea level and the highest point is 322m ! That's only 12m higher than the tallest building in London, the Shard. ;)

When living in Cambridge (similarly flat) I just rode a 70" fixed, a long time before it was popular, but still aesthetically pleasing. My Pine Mountain has a short (possibly medium ?) cage and a triple with no trouble.

daugs":17vugfod said:
says the person living in the Netherlands where practically a quarter of the country is below sea level and the highest point is 322m ! That's only 12m higher than the tallest building in London, the Shard. ;)

When living in Cambridge (similarly flat) I just rode a 70" fixed, a long time before it was popular, but still aesthetically pleasing. My Pine Mountain has a short (possibly medium ?) cage and a triple with no trouble.

:mrgreen: Yes, I hope it'll be a few decades yet before I need to get off and walk up a Dutch mountain.

However, when on a pilgrimage to Gaiole or Oudenaarde a decent low gear is nice to have.

I've got a 1985 Harry Hall. I have swopped the racing double off it and replaced it with a Sugino Triple. Also a cheap Shimano triple front mech. 6 speed 28-11 freewheel on the rear and original rear mech and DT shifters. Runs very well. I spend more time in the middle ring than anywhere else. I'm not that bothered if it looks right. I'm on it not looking at it. :)

Re:

Funnily enough I would always prefer a triple for looks on an older racey bike. You don't notice the inner ring and it means that you can have period ratios at the back which look neater than dinner plates. You also get a better choice as there are fewer compacts in silver and black has no placed on an older bike.

Re:

I just bought a nice french bike from beginning of the eighties with a Tevano crankset which was modified to be able to have a granny ! This Tevano was made by Specialites TA and sort of "copy" competing with the campa nuovo record

You see also some campy nuovo record having been modified until campy did its own but smaller ring could only be 36 min

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 8&Enum=115

I believe my bike are aesthetically good looking enough to sport a triple :mrgreen: and my old bones need a "granny" now :facepalm: - and too big a ratio is bad for your health , especially when climbing :idea:

Here the bike and crankset just as I got it - will have a few alterations to make it good looking :mrgreen:

Back