Are you, or have you ever been a Retro div?

The purchase and actually wearing Carrera Jeans 'Fake' denim lycra skin tights when I was 14

7.jpg

You get the idea :oops:

When I was at school (about 14 years old - so 1995) I lusted after a Kona Cinder Cone that one of the sixth formers rode.

So I managed to track down a set of original replacment Kona decals from from Banana Bike in Cheltenham and when to work on my rockhopper........

The result a decidedly non kona looking bike in banana yellow applied by paintbrush :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops:

To be fair the bike didn't look to bad..........

However, after a couple of years use the paint looked a little tatty so I took my next inspiration from a raleigh dyna tech.

However, rather than actually paint in the two tone I added (can't believe I'm writing this :oops: :oops: :shock: ) a black wood effect to the TT and DT - i think the stuff was originally destined for a kitchen :shock: #

Result a unique XT equipped Rock Hopper - which was already unique as it had both a rear u brake and canti studs (added in early 90's by a friend)

I have a picture of the bike before it was stolen in 1997 - also without the wood effect - I shall dig it out and post it up.

Other than that no retro cock ups! :oops:

crud":2uxq9o1g said:
off the top of my head

1. tried to drill holes in my steel outer chainring, burnt out dads drill

2. stickered my british eagle as a marin :?

3. tried to strip the paint of a set of mag 21's to polish, must have used the most coarse sandpaper going loked awful :oops:

4. cut the top of the seat tube on my old parkpre in a trials phase to get the seat lower :cry:

4. cut the top of the seat tube on my old parkpre in a trials phase to get the seat lower :cry:

:?: :?: One of those "I wish I could time travel moments...."

Easy_Rider":x1r0m77m said:
crud":x1r0m77m said:
off the top of my head

1. tried to drill holes in my steel outer chainring, burnt out dads drill

2. stickered my british eagle as a marin :?

3. tried to strip the paint of a set of mag 21's to polish, must have used the most coarse sandpaper going loked awful :oops:

:?: :?: One of those "I wish I could time travel moments...."

and at the same time not remove all the decals...

In about 1992 I got bored of my 1989 Pine Mountain flouro paint (flouro was so last year(s) ). Inspired by one of the Mountain Goat paint jobs, with Nitromors and Halfords aerosol in hand I set about creating a black with blue blocks paint job. It was crap. I then resorted to a red / white / black fade, which was marginally better.

We live and learn!.

In around 1991 I bought a scott super evolution in the sale (the one with elevated chainstays), it rode nice but scotts paint schemes were pretty shocking. So I spent my summer holidays stripping it down, polishing it and putting 'Orange Aluminium Elite' stickers on it. Folk were pretty interested in it as I obviously had the only elevated chainstay orange in the world :LOL:
I also remember that in order to get the stickers from orange I had to provide the serial number of my frame - cue much futive whistling underneath the orange frame hung in leisure lakes as I desperately tried to remember the frame number.

Back