Are you, or have you ever been a Retro div?

I once brushpainted the yellow skyways on my burner black and painted the tyres White. Sat morn ritual was touching in the cracks on the sidewalls.

Another non bike faux pas was to paint a very nice Gretch goldtop guitar in a Jackson Pollock style like John Squire did when in the Roses. It looked cool as but as Goldtops are worth a small fortune now it must rank as the most stupid thing I have ever done ( to date )

MadCowKev":i8kmn11i said:
It was a stinker but fortunately the bike was stolen not soon after.... :D

Hahahaha by a blind man?? :LOL:

These stories are real corkers hahahaha the Slingshot one hahahahahahha

I remember "making" my own handlebars once out of a bit of steel pipe. I "shimmed" it with another bit of pipe and then wedged it into my stem. It must have weighed 2 kilos. After a few rides, it had drooped about 2" at either end :?

Attempting a DIY respray on a perfectly "boring" frame - tick

Apply numerous brand stickers to unbranded seatposts/ stems/ hubs etc -tick

Throwing away expensive canti's as v's were the thing to have - tick

Giving away p2's as I now had suspension, rigid is for paupers etc

doh doh doh

rocking gently in my seat after those admissions :oops:

I resprayed my muddyfox c/comp from its beautiful light powder blue to an odd shade of urine yellow ,i then proceeded to cover it in black pawprint decals
bad move
I turned a beautiful bike ugly

Going back long time ago Dad had one of the big chunky metal matrix S works frames with full xtr then as said above V brakes, Micro chainsets , shocks etc came in .... I remember all the bits in family room before getting thrown away as old shite :shock:

That bike was a crying shame when you look back now ... It got sprayed, had newer decals put on, brand new Man 4 shocks, shorter stem, riser bars as you did in 1995 it sat so high at the front :roll:

off the top of my head

1. tried to drill holes in my steel outer chainring, burnt out dads drill

2. stickered my british eagle as a marin :?

3. tried to strip the paint of a set of mag 21's to polish, must have used the most coarse sandpaper going loked awful :oops:

4. cut the top of the seat tube on my old parkpre in a trials phase to get the seat lower :cry:

For a brief spell, I rode a really low end Norco (kokanee) and wanted to flash it up a bit. I sanded down the rear triangle and clear coated it, though not well as every other week, I had to sand off the rust from the cro-moly tubes..

some great stories here. A common theme occuring....pimping your ride when too young and poor to buy the proper article. :LOL:

Good job none of us ended up in frame design/ painting huh?

:LOL:

let's have some more...

Back