another what car thread - epiphany reached. Bicycles instead

Re: another what car thread - car for 40,000 a year+

The legacy is a good car a bit thirsty (obviously the log off sets that) but a friend bought one new in 2006 and in 6 years put about 110k on it and other than servicing and consumables it needed a replacement rear caliper.
My brother has just got a new forrester XT. I hope his experience is similar.

Carl.

found a reasonable W210 e320 cdi for not too much - will see what goes in the bank at the end of the month.

Mercs are good just watch out for rust I would get a Passat B5.5 estate tdi I drive a Mitsubishi gallant estate auto 2liter petrol not to good on fuel tho :facepalm: .

I had a Passat PD130 - never again. It only ever seemed to work brilliantly for 5 minutes before something else would go.

legrandefromage":3grkxu1u said:
I had a Passat PD130 - never again. It only ever seemed to work brilliantly for 5 minutes before something else would go.

My VAG experience was similar, reliability reputation seems like a hangover from the days when they were built well, now they are just a bit shit really.

Carl.

Re:

Wouldn't touch an Audi from the past ten years or so, but having had Volvos for the past decade and more the parts are not particularly expensive at all (compared with similar class of car, BMW, Merc etc.)

I would say I've virtually always found the genuine Volvo parts, or their genuinely OEM equivalents, to be really top quality; you fit something from the blue box and you can be pretty confident that you'll not be doing the same thing six months later through material failure.

Both the older Audi-derived (850 era) and newer Volvo's own 5 cylinder diesels seem to reach massive mileages without much bother, so long as you keep changing the useless water pumps in the VAG engine.

I've never had a Merc, it'd be interesting to hear how you get on with it... the rust problems from the past 15 years or so really put me off, same with slightly newer BMWs - I quite fancied one for a change but think I'll be going for another Volvo if the current one doesn't survive the upcoming MOT.

leaning towards a Merc still.

Owning a few of the 80's W126 really gave me a taste for them and the missus' 200 SLK is rather nice to be in.

But, as usual will probably end up driving the crappy Stilo for a while longer. I was looking at it today - it just doesnt know what it wants to be. It handles like an over stuffed sofa. New shocks on the rear and it still crashes over bumps. Drop links done at the front - gone are the knocks and rattles - a nice twisty A road? Bleaugh!

saab OG9-3 2.2. I used to do 60000 a year in mine and it was fault less .

I could always do the sensible thing and spend the money on a retro bicycle or ten

legrandefromage":222bxh8m said:
I could always do the sensible thing and spend the money on a retro bicycle or ten

Now 40000 miles a year on a bike would give you mega muscles but your clients might complain about the wait :)

Alison

Latest posts

Back