And today I did......

gmac123":1orqhmcj said:
I'm currently trying to get campag cranks off an old sealed fag BB. I have tried mechanical bearing/bush type pullers, which have knackered the bb axl thread :( :oops: :x

heat's probably my next option, not having any access to torches, flame throwers etc, does anyone have any ideas??

was thinking of building the bike and doing some (lack of) power sessions on the turbo to try and loosen

any ideas, any thoughts?

Wurth do a product in a can called 'Rost off ice'. It combines a pentrant and a freeze spray. Pretty usefull for stuck things if you can't use heat. Supposed to shrink the internal part and help with the penetrant.
Handy to have a can on the shelf.

thanks lads, great points all round

velo - yes plastic surround, i assume there are steal cups under there, however i've been reluctant to apply heat incase i damage the paint as well

mikee - my thoughts done this before years ago.. however this bike has lay dormant since 1991. so may stick bars, seat, rear mech and shifters on it and hit the turbo...

circus - going to look into this, thanks. if it works great, if it doesnt, i'll try it along with turbo option above.

lbs has had a look, failing that i'll drop into pedal power in west calder, they've managed a seized pedal forme in the past.

thanks all :)

Today I did a urban/rural assault, short/sharp thrash on the MTB battered over or jumped every thing in sight (in the zone) brutal :twisted:

To say my legs were wasted would be a understatement, the nearest Ive had to a knee trembler in a while :LOL:

Not enough fuel on board though.

Started building up the surly tonight, lovely looking thing :) shame my hopes dont work with the bigger wheels, I will have to run with the schneider lx brakes unless anyone has some modern discs they do not need. Indeed anyone got some modern mechs they dont use?

30 min in the man cave to avoid eastenders = replace the campy BB with a £4 RPM JIS one. And I saved 40 odd grams too.

Depressed a bit for obvious reasons via other thread so did a bit of retail shopping and bought a Giant Escaper frame and fork for a tenner off the bay. I dont need frame number 22 but I want to know what an old Giant rides like. Less depressed now :roll:

Stupid hobby this, makes no sense but its fun :cool:

Back