And today I did......

was wanting to get out on the mtb today, but knew it would be too cold in my local tree lined trails. opted for the road bike, managed 3 hrs legs like jelly now. hard going, the air was really cold and heavy, ice everywhere that there was shadow.

ZZ Wrote:
Today's lesson learned: a campy BB and Shimano cranks while seeming to work together will eventually let you down. Had a nice 5 mile cycle home on the right leg only as the left crank had worked itself loose. Certainly made me concentrate on my technique though!

:facepalm: The classic Campag/Shimano compatability issue. Campag BB's have a different taper on the square taper BB axle than Shimano. Either you bugger your cranks or they fall off dependent on the crank to BB mix.

With campag think road and campag only, dont think off road unless you think retro off road and campag only.

Aye, I did read up and thought 'these should be fine, just make sure they're nice and tight'... Well, they worked for a while...

I'm currently trying to get campag cranks off an old sealed fag BB. I have tried mechanical bearing/bush type pullers, which have knackered the bb axl thread :( :oops: :x

heat's probably my next option, not having any access to torches, flame throwers etc, does anyone have any ideas??

was thinking of building the bike and doing some (lack of) power sessions on the turbo to try and loosen

any ideas, any thoughts?

If the FAG BB is one of those old full plastic jobs then blasting it with a blowtorch will melt the thing and still leave your cranks attached :shock:

There will be experts in retrobike as a whole such as the wonderous LeGrandeFromage ;)

is it rideable? if so take the bolts out and pedal it round the block and
it should loosen off ,if your really smart about this take the bolts and a socket and then re-fit the first one to loosen ,keep cycling till the other comes loose etc

Back