And today I did......

from a previous post
"so today ,i trimmed a bit of my hedge ,those of you that have seen said hedge will appreciate the task involved ,in reality its not so much cutting
it ,tho it is about 15' high its the disopsal of the cuttings
any way thats it started "

a hedge ,but not as we know it ian

mikee":2zsnquqk said:
from a previous post
"so today ,i trimmed a bit of my hedge ,those of you that have seen said hedge will appreciate the task involved ,in reality its not so much cutting
it ,tho it is about 15' high its the disopsal of the cuttings
any way thats it started "

a hedge ,but not as we know it ian

Said in strange slightly high pitched Nazi-esque weeble voice - Not so fast Mr Bond ;) (strokes pussy :shock: )

I can help you here (picks nose, grunts, simultaneously lets off and sneezes)

Your talking to a Hedge Whisperer :twisted:

Plant physiologist then trained arborist y'see. Wanted to be a tree surgeon but couldn't stand the sight of sap ;)

Take it out and replace with hornbeam, in stages. Your missus will love it and therefore you :p

mikee":1anhcrod said:
panda

not on my property unfortunately
i just have to trim the overhang

all 180 yards

Yay - boundary issue - been in court with this stuff :p

You don't have to trim the overhang - the Hedge Owner is responsible for the upkeep of his/her hedge and be aware if you cut anything off it you are legally obliged to offer it back to the owner or they can claim loss of, well, branches :roll: Dicks.

And woe betide them if it damages any of your property, such as sheds and the contents thereof ;) Those tree roots aren't growing under that shed are they? Whistles nonchalontly.

Have you bought a house with deeds which dictate you are responsible for your neighbour's hedge? Unlikely.

Now - Ullapool? C'mon y'auld git. Leave the hedge to me.

I have 300 yds of hedge to trim this afternoon. Bloody privet, so bloody twee and suburban- hate the stuff. I have to do it 4-5 times a year. It's OK though, I've just bought an electric trimmer thing- the hand shears were such a chore.

Luckily the Enviorment agency will be ripping it all out next autumn to start work on our flood defences. Tell me more about the Hornbeam? It could be a nice replacement ( paid for by the agency of course). I do like a nice copper beech myself but I'm open to ideas.

This is turning into www.retrohedge.co.uk

How long would a beech hedge take to establish though? I don't want to see my neighbour in a bikini again for a very long time. A sobering sight. His wife looks bad enough in it.

Dr S":n3p7ssn3 said:

Great, here's mine :D

hedge.jpg

Hate the b*stard, dont know what it is in yards but its about 90 feet down the side and up the back, about 50 feet of it at the front of the house, back and side are six feet high, front is five feet, needs cut about six times a year to keep on top of it :x

Really hate the grass too, got far too much of that, the bit up the side of the garage grows like wildfire, seems like every other weekend during the summer it's either the grass or the hedge needing done, if i leave it then i've got twice as much work, and of course most times of the year the grass is too damp to cut properly :roll: , if i had the money i'd fence and slab the whole lot.

Still, it's a nice house and area so i should'nt complain.

jimihendrix":3gyj57ym said:
here's mine :D

Hate the b*stard,

Really hate the grass too

Still, it's a nice house and area so i should'nt complain.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dr S - beech hedge can establish pretty rapidly, depending on size at time of planting, planting distance etc. Does need to be kept in check though as otherwise will take off.

Hornbeam - very similar to beech in appearance but holds leaves almost all year round, which is useful in a hedge plant. Nice option. There's a guy on here (thegreenrabbit?) works in a tree nursery so could probably supply in bulk :D

Back