And today I did......

Zigzag, I had a shimano hollowtech BB that lasted 6 months (XT) switched to Hope and got well over a year, plus with hope you the bearings are replaceable (although £32 a set) they do do GPX converters, might be an option. (Incidentally I go through my bearings quickly as they are on my bulleyes and I have side load on the bearings to make them fit.)

Aye, I saw those Hope converters on CRC. But then you factor in a new Hope BB, and cha-ching. I think I just need to reset my expectations and treat these external BBs as another consumable... let's face it, I spend more in 8 months on inner tubes, which brings me to the conclusion that I need to get off my arse and try going tubeless.

I'm sure there are good technical reasons for using external BBs (bigger/better bearings?), but it seems longevity is compromised.

Set up is crucial, and so is a quality bearing like SKS or similar - for it only to last 8months it sounds like there is side load on the bearings.

Buy thicker innertubes, you'll always get puntures from thorns but you seem to get far more than most - I use the very high quality tesco specials at £2.24 each

Went and replaced my (Ylod) ps3 lastnight, been a long night ;)

Modern warfare2 and a couple of beers, been waiting 7 months to have some disposable money :LOL:

Anyway, better get back to it, winters coming and im feart o riding in the cold ;) :LOL:

If you have one, add me to your friends list, suprisingly its.... enid_puceflange ;)

Gc

Today after much procrastination I took the brake levers off the Muddy Fox. This will be a full strip soon enough.
I also need to decide whether to keep the Wheeler or the KHS or the Kuwahara and make a rough stuff tourer out of it :?
I've also decided to build the SAB with the bits I've got, pretty much just need some suitable wheels. It should be the better choice for Glentress.
I'm also looking into something to replace the Azonic, bags of fun but a tad too small, climbing on its a bind, like running in a box. But it has set the template for what I want to replace it with.

Velo how is your hardcore hardtail plans looking?

I've just remembered/discovered that Saracen Zen and Mantra frames which are in plentiful supply second hand are designed for big forks. Thus probably gonna try and track one of these down to save some dosh. I want an alloy frame for stiffness and these saracens fit the bill ;)

I was thinking of going all out and getting the DH8 up and running for GT, got the wheel rims today, going to put them in to get built at the weekend, bike still needs tons of bits though like drivetrain and suitable cranks so probably wont happen, brakes have been a bit of a set back too, having hassle with the old Hope set i've bought, pretty much given up on buying old disc brakes :roll:

Infact between one thing and another i'll be buying pretty much all of my stuff new from now on :roll:

Latest posts

Back