And today I did......

yeah lots of stuff, but I particularly like the lift to the top each time and as I can't afford the helicopter type drop off this would be a cheaper option.

if the mist does not roll in as it did when I did it last :LOL:

yeah think your right rob. I will either inspire or kill there climbing urges, will you know how I get on- BTW can you take kids into pubs in scotland? :twisted:

kaiser":36qtc6un said:
RobMac":36qtc6un said:
Just been out to buy some new rubber wear for the weekend
ooooer Mrs ;)

Whatya get?

Today will see the demise of my bike room :( I'll only have the bike cupboard and the turbo room now. But next week will see a new shed furra shite in the garage and the electrician is coming to put in power to the mancave :D a new project looms.

Panaracer Cedric Garcia XC 2.10 only because I got a good deal
on them I wouldnt pay the RRP cause am a tight arse.

Another piece in the jigsaw. Which cheered me up as pretty much everything outside work is on hold just now. Big stack height but I will still need a 5 or 10mm spacer.

Attachments

• stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 93
zigzag":20kztc3z said:
therealkw15":20kztc3z said:
Front disc squealy but not very stoppy though, and I fear the pads may need renewal. It's second hand Shimano BR-M525s with 160mm rotors that I have.
Sintered brake pads will help, plus if it's second hand, could it maybe benefit from being bled?

I was wondering about sintered pads, but the rotors say 'Resin pads only'. What are the pros and cons? A bleed might be a good idea- I'll get a big syringe from an agricultural suppliers and scout for some hose, and make a bleed kit.

As I understand it... Sintered pads have wee bits of metal in the pad, which increases friction when braking. This also means they last longer than resin, since they don't wear down as fast, however I think that means the rotor wears quicker.

Having said all that, don't use sintered pads if the rotors say resin only - that means the rotors haven't been hardened and will probably end up getting scored. Sooo, I suppose try a bleed and possibly new resin pads if that doesn't make a difference?

Wandered in past my LBS today, enquiring if they had mineral oil for my hydraulic disc brakes. They didn't have any for sale, just having a small quantity for servicing, but recommended a local engineering firm, and gave me a bleed kit including spare olives etc. for nothing!

Most sporting I thought. I then asked if they had brake pads, and left with yer actual Shimano replacement part for a tenner, two quid cheaper than online.

Bravo Cycle Orkney!

Climbed aboard scooter with iDrive attached and motored doon to Newcastleton. Bit of a fib as its 2 miles from the toon in the back end of nowhere.

I would suggest you lot dont bother, its a serious let down. First section is dead good, all twisty up and down dale with interesting techy bits but then it ends and you spend ages on a dull as dishwater timber road.Then you find the Stane which has a verse from Jerusalem all about England being a green and pleasant land, thats enough to upset any patriotic Scotsman when last time I looked I was still in Scotland. Then more road and then a promising bit through some trees over a boardwalk and straight onto a steep gravel surfaced climb which instantly results in zero traction and the walk begins :roll: Guess whats at the top, yup another road followed by another wee bit of upward single track then yet another road :evil:

You climb this rough but dull road to a ridgeline and then get a wee bit of fast bermy singletrack which then dumps you back on the road :evil: Finally after another singletrack upward slog through a wood you get a swoopy single track descent. No obstacles are of serious note being half hearted affairs and then your back at the car park :roll:

Met a guy in the carpark with an early On-One 456 with 150mm travel Marzocchis. He let me have a wee go, very nice although the frames a bit heavy. Methinks an alloy frame would be better for me so a Ragley mbop or a Orange Crush are at the top of my list for iDrive replacement. He also said that to get the most out of Newcastleton you need to plan for two laps, the second of which should be faster as you know whats coming. He also said the blue route is a lot better than many blues he's ridden.

I'm not going back unless I'm in the area for other reasons. The scoot down and back all 145miles of it did involve some stunning countryside though so not a total waste ;)

Back