And today I did......

competed in my first race today/yesterday at 10 under kirroughtree. i use the term competed very loosely as out of 118 in the solo mens seniors category i came 110th :LOL: too much time was spent sunning myself beside the MacRetro gazeebo i think else that gold medal would have been mine for sure :D

therealkw15":1fsccsmq said:
It handily employed the studding and nut I had found on the way home from the pub one night, but I had to BUY another nut, and 10 washers as they only sold them in tens. I was about to complain until I found that the total bill was 46p.

Island Life - Ye canny whack it :LOL:

Dahon build progresses, and now just need to add a chain and cables. Wheels are being shared with the FrankenKona, and probably the chain too, having moved to KMC and their lovely removable link, and away from Shimano and their hateful Magic Pin.

BUT (and it's a big but), my bl :shock: dy front forks seem to be narrower spaced than normal, by about 4mm. Which means that the wheel, when forced in, does not automatically centre.

I feel some brutality coming on.

Just got back from Le Mans in the early hours. Alfa ran perfectly over the 1000km each way. Not only was it blindingly quick but used 17 gallons less fuel than 2 years ago. Last night's run back from Portsmouth was epic, the car loved running in the cold air and now the motor is run in it has serious punch; flooring throttle at 100mph gave such a surge of acceleration I was able to pass everything on the motorway with great ease. The only problem was the heatsoak into the cabin, it got so hot on the way down that it melted the heal of my favourite driving shoes to the mat which made braking tricky. It also blistered my feet which made pressing the heavy unassisted brakes a painful experience over the est of the weekend.
Weather was stupidly hot, 39.5 deg recorded on the Saturday afternoon and it was still 28deg at 4:00AM in the pits.
Company was excellent as ever with the usual guys and gals from Club Arnage, Beermountain and Pistonheads. This year we had a special guest though. After I posted a rash of photos from the outbound ferry terminal on Facebook, we got a call from a certain RetroBiker in Amsterdam. He loaded up his Alfa, brimmed it with fuel and drove overnight whilst we crossed the channel and met us for breakfast in a small village outside Falaise.
Defiant, you are a top fella and helped make the trip one to remember for a long time.
I'm now going to catch up with some sleep. 2-3 hours a night is all I have had since Wednesday night, only 5 hours in the last 72!
Knackered but happy.
Si

Well, I'm pleased to report that what Sheldon Brown euphemistically calls cold setting has done the trick for my skinny forks.

Clamping one dropout in the vice and simultaneously swearing and pulling on the other seemed to make no difference at all until I measured and found that (not for the first time) I had gone too far, and it was now 5mm wider than I desired. Further vicework got me back to a situation where the wheel now centres beautifully and the fork does not have to go the civic amenity site.

If CRC come up trumps today with my spacers and cables the build can complete, although some tinkering will be necessary. When folded it rests naturally on the bars, which is bad news for my thumbies. Rapid fire shifters would be an answer but I hate them, so stubby bar ends might be the way to go. Unfortunately I have cut my bars assuming no bar ends, so I am looking for ones that plug into the end of the bar, which does not seem common...

road run tonight, I'm starting to enjoy the thin tire thang- over the run about 20 lycra clad feckers passed me- only about 3 returned my wave- they are a surly bunch :evil:

Hud on, 'Christine' was Enids Beast which means you saved him from an early death by agreeing to take it off him :?

The wheeling and dealing that goes on behind the scenes on this site :roll:

Latest posts

Back