And today I did......

Cheers all, twas a truly murderous ride, if I ever get the urge again I think I'll just turbo in a sauna for 7 hours instead.

emptied the store at the back of my dads garage, took 8 wheels, 6 rims and 18 tubs to the dump.

managed to salvage my first set of tublar wheels, campag nuevo (or tipo?) hubs on mavic monthlery pro rims and 2 wolber tubs. after ~26 years in storage they're still true :shock:

Re:

Shamefully I've still to ride my tub wheels. They do say you should let them age before using them.
Road miles starting to pay off though, very happy with climb times at Glentress today. Stopped trying so hard to chase times on the descents and just relaxed and actually rode smoother and faster. It's all coming together in time for Canada.

^^ Im also feeling a bit better when being out. Still sweat rivers but before it was estuaries :LOL:

About 20 miles of very technical single track today-
-I went into the west end via the city center and the throngs of commonwealth games tourists :LOL: The obstacles move all the time, or stop and try to guess what im going to do so they can suddenly jump in front of me or just plain magically appear in the middle of the road :shock:

Mind and hydrate guys, its hot out there ;)

Re:

Went for a walk up Benarty Hill this evening with my wife and lassie.

When we got to the trig point I found that someone had attached a love padlock to it. They'd drilled 2 holes in concrete of trig point then used something like car body filler to fix a loop of stainless steel to it then the padlock. Having seen how this proliferates elsewhere I removed both the padlock and the loop to stop more being locked on.

Am I just being a grumpy auld bastard for doing this? (I know I'm a crabbit bastard aboot loads of other things though. :LOL: ) Is it just another part of the "Look at me Facebook attention-seeking generation"?

My wife doesnae agree with me, "maybe it means something to them", and "they probably put a lot of thought into it", blah, blah.
I don't see the difference between people doing this and the wee bags of dog shit hanging on fences, it's just more litter.

Sure the council didnt put it there ?. Drilling concrete miles from a power point takes a bit of effort and more than the usual thought :?
I can see the headline .......... 'Vandals Attack View Point' :LOL:

Re:

The padlock had a heart with initials engraved on it. The SS loop was only about 5mm thick. My rechargeable DeWalt drill would do those holes in seconds and it isn't that heavy. Anyway, it's no there noo.

Those love padlocks are getting out of control, a bridge somewhere in Europe partially collapsed under the weight of them I kid you not !
There is a bridge in Krakow in Poland similarly adorned, must be at couple of tons of love on that bridge.

Re:

People go hillwalking/mountain-biking to get into wild places only to find they have been spoiled by rubbish left by thoughtless idiots. The top of Ben Nevis is the highest rubbish dump in the UK, it is also being adorned by "In Memoriam" plaques attached to boulders and cairns that are now being removed by the relevant outdoor agencies. The Mountaineering Council of Scotland is against people leaving these tributes out in the wild places that we love.
With the love padlocks I think it is part of the attention-seeking crap that is so prevalent nowadays. My wife wasn't very pleased with me but there's got to be a limit as to where this crap is allowed to intrude. She wasn't happy either that there was the remains of a party, cans, bottles, takeaways rubbish on the path up through the woods to Benarty, we had nothing to put any of it in to remove it, there was a lot. To me it's the same attitude, do what you want and eff everybody else, my right to do what I want is more important than your's to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors.

Back