A Happy Ending. Heartfelt thanks Please read.

Re: A warning. Please read.

Went out for my first walk today. Paid the papers etc. just happened to notice sign outside, somebody trying to tell me something? :LOL:

5c8f8434d89b03f7105356b3035228a4_zpsab7d61da.jpg

You couldn't make it up!

Well done getting yourself to hospital THM.

I've been there too (heart attack and 3x cardiac arrests age 33, then one stent).

Take it steady to start with. When I came out of the hospital I was battered to f*** - broken ribs from the CPR and black and blue from the entry point of the stent. They had to get it in quick 'cos I kept having cardiac arrests :oops: Took me a lot longer to get back to fitness than they told me.
Just take it steady - a little exercise and often taking care to keep your heart rate in the right range (the gym people at the cardiac rehab classes will tell you the range when they've done a treadmill assessment). You probably won't like this one.... but don't have any 'targets' to do anything by a set date.

All the best.

Waiting to be contacted by cardiac rehab.

Thanks fir the advice and good to hear you're doing ok.

Only just seen this thread :oops:
Glad your ok HM, just last weekend my Father-in-law came in from work at midnight complaining of what he thought was indigestion and 3 hours later he was dead :shock:
it's been a sh1t week :!: he was only 65 and hadn't been ill and not unfit.

The moral is, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Thoughts and sympathy to you and yours. That's terrible.

Had a visit from Cardiac rehab yesterday. I get a six week program of stress testing and physio at the local university sports campus gym. In week one boundaries are set for 'safe' exercise. This won't start until at least a month after the event so mid February at earliest. Hoping to be fit for HONC but already been told this is an outside chance. need something to work towards so telling myself half 50k HONC and then FOD ride in May then mayhem are the goals at present, with mayhem being the realistic event.

Anybody would think I was ill!

The History Man":1wbjclxp said:
Had a visit from Cardiac rehab yesterday. I get a six week program of stress testing and physio at the local university sports campus gym. In week one boundaries are set for 'safe' exercise. This won't start until at least a month after the event so mid February at earliest. Hoping to be fit for HONC but already been told this is an outside chance. need something to work towards so telling myself half 50k HONC and then FOD ride in May then mayhem are the goals at present, with mayhem being the realistic event.

Anybody would think I was ill!

Hope to see you on the mend for HONC. :)

Got prompted over here by TGR on your Raleigh thread HM.

Don't know you from Adam, of course, but I wish you the very best! Glad to hear you're in good hands as well as on the road to recovery. As for the photographed "self-rescue" back home...what can I say! "Hardy man...!" springs to mind!

For the benefit of others, if I may, an old friend of mine found himself in a similar position on Dec 28th past. 55, carrying some weight but been losing it, not a huge drinker historically, I have an idea he may have smoled way back but not sure and certainly not during the 25 years I have known him, complaining during the day of indigestion and some lower chest discomfort rather than pain but....tingling pains in his upper arms which is where the brachial arteries pass.

Later in the evening, they had friends in and, after dinner, he didn't feel any better and retired early. At 2am, he "took a notion" (his own words), put on his coat and cap, roused his son out of bed and took himself off to hospital. He sent the lad home, observing that "I'll be here a while, you know how it is. I'll call you when I'm ready!"

He presented himself inside, gave his details and within a matter of only a couple of minutes, he had a nurse taking his BP. She took it three times to be sure but he knew summat was astray when she started calling "I need a room, I need a ROOM, I NEED A ROOM.....NOW...!"

His BP was 190/140.

The consultant appeared a while later after he had been stabilised to observe "You're a very, very lucky man, Mr. W...! There have been people who have presented here with symptoms less extreme than you and they didn't make it!"

End result, one stent, a new lifestyle and meds to go with only minor residual damage to the heart.

Lucky scarcely describes it.

Once again, best wishes and good luck with the recovery - hope you enjoy many miles on the new bike!

Latest posts

Back