40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

View attachment 801398View attachment 801399
Well a rough weekend for this guy. Dealing with mouse situation in my garage and I hit the frame with 2X clear coat and the paint crackle up. After several sanding and respraying attempts I decided to strip the frame back to bare and start over😥
Sometimes different brand’s don’t like each other. Modern paints take longer to completely dry than old paint. I leave my frames behind the stove for a few weeks to dry before adding another coat. In the summer I put my fresh painted frames in my truck cab and park in the sun. In the 1980s-90s I would put my fresh painted frames in our hot sauna, turn it off, and let it sit. The next day you could sand and repaint, no problem. Then this stopped working when the paint changed. Heat helps, but you still have to wait 2-3 weeks to be safe now. Plus the new paint is very poor, not as tough as the one stage automotive paint from the 1980s. I still have some vintage single stage automotive paint from the 80s. It’s easy to spray, dries fast and is a very tough. The EPA outlawed it so you can’t buy it anymore. It was the best and easiest for a frame. You could buy it in quarts.

View attachment 801398View attachment 801399
Well a rough weekend for this guy. Dealing with mouse situation in my garage and I hit the frame with 2X clear coat and the paint crackle up. After several sanding and respraying attempts I decided to strip the frame back to bare and start over😥
This exact same thing happened to me on a custom Raleigh Chopper build some 24 years ago. It’s still hanging up in my parents garage unfinished as a “parked” project! Hoping to revisit it over the next few years if time allows... it’s an amazing effect, but it certainly wasn’t planned or wanted at the time! 🤯😱

IMG_4574.jpeg
IMG_4574.jpeg image.jpg
Had a gut feeling the Schwinn decals didn’t adhere properly when i zoomed in on a picture I took. Little rub with microfibre cloth and off it came. I reached out to the vendor on Ebay(BicycleBones) and they’re throwing a new set in the mail dor me. Great service👌🏻

Last edited:
View attachment 803256
View attachment 803257View attachment 803258
Had a gut feeling the Schwinn decals didn’t adhere properly when i zoomed in on a picture I took. Little rub with microfibre cloth and off it came. I reached out to the vendor on Ebay(BicycleBones) and they’re throwing a new set in the mail dor me. Great service👌🏻
If you didn’t use 1500 wet paper or rubbing compound to sand the paint under the decals absolutely flat, water slide decals will lift at the edge. Any orange peel or slight splatter in the paint and they will lift. I once forgot to sand and had to wet sand and repaint and do more sanding before the decals would stick. I prefer vinyl stickers that I’ve covered with a thin laver of quick set clear epoxy. These never lift, peel or crack. Downside is once you place them it’s best not to move them. I usually place them, lift half, put on epoxy, let it dry and repeat on the other side.

Last edited:
Back