145.5 KB · Views: 3,852
  • Jer's  '47.jpg
    Jer's '47.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 3,852
  • LookingDown.jpg
    LookingDown.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3,852
Repack Rider":2gu7rcuk said:
October 21 of this year marks the 35th anniversary of the day I and a half-dozen friends gathered at the top of a steep hill to settle once and for all time who was the fastest dirt downhiller in the world.

As it turned out, the question was never settled, because now it is asked many times each week in locations all over the world.

On these anniversary days there is always a small gathering at the site, and I expect there will be one this year.

While Marin County gets considerable credit for introducing mountain biking to the world, it is far from correct to suggest that the mountain bike was invented here. People rode bikes on dirt as soon as there were bikes, and no doubt a few of them raced downhill, but left no record of their competition. Many others had already come up with the idea of putting derailleur gears onto balloon-tyre bicycles long before anyone in Marin County did.

What was "invented" in Marin was the SPORT of mountain biking, and the sport itself developed the bikes we have today. That sport started on that day, and the everything we now call mountain biking can be traced in an unbroken line directly to that event.
No! Your wrong!
I Invented it in 1982 when I put a set of cow horns on my old 10 speed racer and went down Vallis near Frome in Somerset!

A few more pics

Attachments

• JB 1.jpg
    JB 1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 4,624
  • Billy's AB Ride.jpg
    Billy's AB Ride.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4,624
  • Procruiser 1.jpg
    Procruiser 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4,624
  • AB's Ride.jpg
    AB's Ride.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 4,624
Nice old bikes but, whooa - Caption Time!

jb_1_480.jpg

That's one of the MTBR guys on the left, Joe Breeze center, test riding Scooderdude's bike, Chris I. in old white helmet,a shirtless Billy Savage in the background, and writer Owen Mulholland-balding, with his son Emile, on the right.

One more, this was left lying on the road and looked interesting, so I took a snap. I hope it wasn't forgotten! :) :)

Attachments

• Breezer #5.jpg
    Breezer #5.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 4,592
Back