1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX - FINISHED! Pages 7-9

Re: Re:

regan_ev":35ai7qlv said:
unit3":35ai7qlv said:
Could do with some of those atac decals myself.

The farks look to be SL spec now, with ti bolt kit etc, not tempted by SL decals?

Give Gil_m a shout - he's got them in all shapes, sizes and black or white ;)

Erm... I didn't know what the differences were between XC & SL! The decals I bought also camE with SL lower stickers so I could put them on I suppose, but I'll remain true to the origins of BOTH sets of XC forks that I used to put these together and keep them as they are :LOL:

SL (super light afaik) had Ti bolts/bosses and an ally sreerer and were yellow.
XC were the goldy ones but had steel bolts and steel steerer.
Internals the same thpugh.

Either way, they look sweet :)

She's going to glow in the dark, awesome! :)

Re: 91 Al-Mega DX project

regan_ev":28aj5tt2 said:
skolioza":28aj5tt2 said:
Frame looks perfect Regan, but I'm not sure about forks (to young for the frame)
But we'll see how they will looks like together ;)

Thanks Marcin
I agree with you that the forks don't match the age of the frame. I have some other forks that with a bit of work might better suit but I always liked the 95 Judy and the decision to fit them to this frame was made very early in the project. Who knows, I might change my mind - again - as with lots of other decisions on this build! But for now, the Judys will be fitted ;)
I'm very courious, how they will like together! Fortunately forks You can easly replace ;)

Retro Spud":36cye8qa said:
Whilst you can't fault Marcins statement, if you actually want to ride and enjoy it Judys work a hell of alot better than period correct Manitou's which even with springs are dire.
Thanks Nick, but I suppose Regan will not ride that bike ;) that's why I suggest the way to fully period correct build - IMO that's the best option for garage queens

And also I never even think about Manitous here - they're beautyfull cnc finished forks, but quite poor inside, so for Alpinestars fits better RS Mag IMO, especialy in SL Ti version (it was most popular racer's update as I know)
But finaly, if You'll look for idea of EOS construction You'll see that this bike was made to offer extreme short wheel base - very short rear end (only 403mm, when standard then was 425-430!) to great uphilling, and stright blade at the front to extreme agile in tight sections
That's the real spirit of EOS, and that would be my choice, especialy for garage queen

skolioza":1jw7jg09 said:
Thanks Nick, but I suppose Regan will not ride that bike ;) that's why I suggest the way to fully period correct build - IMO that's the best option for garage queens

And also I never even think about Manitous here - they're beautyfull cnc finished forks, but quite poor inside, so for Alpinestars fits better RS Mag IMO, especialy in SL Ti version (it was most popular racer's update as I know)
But finaly, if You'll look for idea of EOS construction You'll see that this bike was made to offer extreme short wheel base - very short rear end (only 403mm, when standard then was 425-430!) to great uphilling, and stright blade at the front to extreme agile in tight sections
That's the real spirit of EOS, and that would be my choice, especialy for garage queen
Wise words Marcin and I won't argue against what you are saying regarding the geometry or period-correctness, nor even on the fact that a solid fork would better suit a garage queen. But I might well ride this yet once it's finished. As for a perfect Alpinestars garage queen, well, I've always got this to stare at and occasionally sit on... ;)

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX project

A few updates...
I've mentioned a couple of times that the plan and vision has been changing as certain parts have become available that I felt would really suit this. I'm no longer going to fit the Maguras, instead keeping them for the Al-Mega XT which'll become a daily commuter. These and other tattier parts are being replaced with NOS.

A full set of NOS BR-M650 cantis which'll be shod with NOS DeoreXT M-Sytem blocks (I love the M900 shape of these!)

NOS drivetrain has been sourced: RD-M650, CS-HG70 (12-2:cool:, CN-HG90, FC-MT60 cranks with VVGC&NOS chainrings (from Barnefield) - I really wanted that SG sticker! Just a bolt-on NOS FD-M650 that eludes me for a FULL NOS drivetrain, but one of the two I have will clean up nicely enough.

To pull the mechs and cantis, NOS ST-M075 RapidFire+ Deore DX shifters/brake levers with full SIS & SLR cable sets. I just loved thes shifters back in the day, and when they appeared for sale on here I HAD to buy them which was then that the decision to ditch the Maguras was made.p as I already had the cantilevers anyway!

I'm just ONE part away from having everything I need to finish it, just the lack of spare cash is holding that up!

I've also got some NOS Deore DX hubs that'll be re-laced onto the original Ritchey Vantage Comp rims that I've had new decals made for.

New A•TAC decals (supplied by Gil) have now been applied and it looks like new :cool:

Target for full completion is the week before Christmas. It's been a mega-expensive and sometimes stressful exercise - through choice, not necessity I know - and the end is now firmly in sight! :D (Next update will be the finished article!)

Re:

I've just read your thread from the beginning.
The frame looks amazing and your choice of parts should set it off perfectly.
Looking forward to your next update!

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX project

So, it's been a very long time in the makings (compared to the original plan!), but it's now finished!

Just got to run the cables in this evening then I'm going to be swapping out the forks with NOS Manitou 2 that Rob (splitty21) is changing the steerer tube on, because despite me WANTING Judys from the very beginning and spending a small fortune on two whole forks, titanium bolts and fixings, a new canti-hanger bridge, new Kronos springs, new decals (x2 lots) and most recently a NOS crown & steerer and wiper seals - oh, and nearly £200 worth of paint to match the frame :oops: - to get what you see here, they just aren't right and the Manitous are bang-on period correct and slightly more geometry-sensitive. Plus it'll be a full Answer Products front end when they're fitted.

Notwithstanding the impending fork change I LOVE it as it is. I think the Judys look awesome and it cuts a pretty good looking profile :cool:

So, here's some crappy iPhone photos showing her upon completion at 4:00am this morning and earlier today in my living room!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for making this place what it is. I couldn't have achieved this standard and acquired most these parts without Retrobike - and everyone's inspirational builds that've gone before me, which certainly helped me get this to a standard I would not have archived otherwise. In particular the many members who've helped with advice via thread replies, PMs, emails and even texts and made recommendations on loads of things - like where to get the frame painted, sold me parts, bought my parts to help fund it and the people that shared saved links on eBay to stuff I was looking for that I wouldn't have found (I'm thinking of the rims that I found recently!). Special credit to Gil at Retrodecals - he did a lot of work resizing and recolouring his existing proofs for the frame decals to get them exactly how I wanted them. :D (Speech over!)

You guys are all awesome and I thank each and every one of you.

Comments, questions and critique welcomed!

[URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/Y2FMC/media/AlMegaDX%20Project/89B8F83B-39EA-4D1B-9548-FD5D369421AE.jpg.html]

SPEC SHEET:
Frame: 1991 ALPINESTARS USA AL-MEGA DX, 17.5"
Repainted by ARGOS RACING CYCLES, Bristol
Headtube reinforcement gusset (à la late-91/92 Al-Mega) welded on by ARGOS
Replacement decals (custom spec for this build) from Gil_m @ Retrodecals (gil@thecycleshed.co.uk)

Fork: 1995 RockShox Judy XC, repainted by Argos. NOS crown & steerer. Ti bolts, NOS can't-hanger bridge, NOS Kronos medium weight springs.

Headset: NOS Chris King NoThreadSet Devolution
Stem: Answer A•TAC 135mm 1⅛" Ahead, replacement decals also from Gil_m
Handlebar: NOS Answer TaperLite 3° Neon Yellow
Grips: New ODI Attack
Barends: not installed

Brakes: NOS Shimano BR-M650 Cantilevers
Brake Pads: NOS Shimano M-System
Brake Cables: NOS Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: NOS Shimano A/73 & B/84
Brake Levers/Shifters: NOS Shimano Deore DX RapidFire Plus STI-M075
Front Derailleur: NOS Shimano Deore DX FD-M650 1 ¼" Bolt-on (with special Alpinestars frame fixing nut from Rampage aka Chris @ Intrincycle)
Rear Derailleur: NOS Shimano Deore DX RD-M650 (SS)
Derailleur Cables: NOS Shimano
Cassette: NOS Shimano CS-HG70 12-28T
Chain: NOS Shimano CN-HG91
Cranks: NOS Shimano Deore DX FC-MT60 175mm
Crank Bolts: NOS Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG 46/36/24T
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN71 68/122.5mm
Pedals: NOS Shimano PD-M525 SPD

Hub Skewers: Ringlé Holey-replica Ti Skewers from Raymond_mole
Rims: NOS Ritchey Vantage Comp 32H 6061 T6, 415grams (with OE-spec replacement decals I had made)
Hubs: NOS HB-M650 & FH-M650 32H
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: DT Swiss Double Butted Stainless
Tyres: Ritchey Megabite Z-Max
Tubes: New Continental Conti Tube 1.75" Presta

Saddle: NOS Avocet O2 AirGel 50R Titanium
Seatpost: New Ritchey Classic Aluminium Silver
Seatpost Binder: NOS Ringlé 34.9mm (1⅜") Collar and TiStix quick release.

Weight: Approx 26½lbs (measured on a suitcase hanger-scale, so hardly accurate, but it's lighter than my rigid XT model :) )

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX SORT OF FINISHED Page7

Magic! Love it. I do love that matchy Judy fork, but the purple M2s will look great to.

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX SORT OF FINISHED Page7

Super sweet! I love this bike, you've done a fantastic job buddy. One day I hope to find one of these.

Back