‘96 Kona Kilauea (was ‘95 “Kilueua”)

But why a fake Chris King?
It’s a good question. When I wrote the update, I went back and forth over justifying the purchase and in the end couldn’t really think of a strong argument for or against it. A friend had one on his fixie a couple of years ago and I found it funny that something that costs so much could be had for so cheap. I’m not saying the quality is anywhere near the same, but from a distance, it looks the part. (I was also unsure on going blue, and this trial and error was a lot cheaper).

I might buy Chris King hubs if I had the money, but something about a >£100 headset feels a bit trivial when a £15 one feels the great. I guess the same could be said for other components. It’s not just about their feel, but the quality, design, reputation.

As you can see I’m conflicted too. I can change it in the future if necessary. I’d never claim that it was real, and even mounted it upside down (@TreaderSteve) to invite conversation about it. It also looks funny. I’m open to discussion about it for sure!

Updating this thread on the painting process! Since Saturday, I've stripped, etch primed, high-build primed and (today) painted the frame. It's been a fantastic process, something I've always wanted to try. I learnt a lot from @enc's Youtube videos, and then later his more in depth threads. If you're interested in painting your frame, his threads are as insightful as they are entertaining. So thanks @enc! I've filmed some bits of my own process, and might put them into a video of my own if all goes to plan.

Here's the frame mid-strip. It took around 3 hours and a can of Autotek stripper to remove it all. Three paint jobs added 107g to the frame, which isn't as much as I'd expected (skinny tubes take less paint i guess).
JPEG image.jpeg

It was nice to reveal all the small details of the frame, especially the brazed sections.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

Rust treatment on some spots of the frame. There were actually a number of patches where the frame had begun to rust, a good few rust worms that must have crept under the numerous coats of paint. So I'm really glad I took it down to metal to address them.

JPEG image 8.jpeg

First couple of coats of etch primer bought out the little imperfections in the frame, of which there weren't many! You can definitely tell where I missed spots of paint, mainly in harder to reach areas. These were addressed with some sanding and the high-build primer.

JPEG image 6.jpeg

I added the high build primer, then splattered it with black acrylic as an indicator for wet-sanding. I went over the frame with 800 grit until all the splatters were gone. Really recommend this technique, I picked it up from a car painter on YouTube.

JPEG image 5.jpeg JPEG image 7.jpeg

Here's the first coat of paint! The metallic looked super metallic. Almost too futuristic. Like a robot costume for a fancy dress party. Now it's had a few coats, and the decals put on it definitely looks a lot better!

JPEG image 4.jpeg JPEG image 3.jpeg

1996 blue decals have been put on this morning, they look AMAZING. I am super pleased, and will share the result once I've cleared over the whole frame this weekend. Just got to find a respirator, as 2K turns out to be nasty stuff

Back