Your 1st MTB

A Townsend Titan, from Makro!

It lasted 4.5 months before the thread in the bottom bracket completely stripped and I had to get a refund.

Whoever thought making a bike from 2000 series aluminium was a good idea???

Mine was an Apollo made from pig iron and was far too big for me. I was so desperate for something better that I actually bought a knackered Emmelle to transfer the bits on.

Have no desire to own either again!

My third bike was an Orbit Frontier, built in sheffield with a funky fade/splatter paint job which I'd like again but I've never seen another one.

A Dawes Ranger with 531ATB frame and forks. Bit of a heavy old 'tank' but I'd love to still have it now.

Attachments

• Dawes Ranger.jpg
    Dawes Ranger.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,017
stewlewis":1n5zflvb said:
Who has their first MTB, however poor?
Or who's built a replica of their first?

First proper MTB was a 1992 GT Tequesta. Bought as a frame/fork/stem/HS/r brake from a local shop and transferred the bits from my Emmelle onto it:
c53c3884.jpg

Me at a Clipstone Forest (Sherwood Pines now!) with the bike in 92/93 ish:
0419a895.jpg

Practising for the Malverns trials comp (those were the days!!):
6df35146.jpg

It was stolen.

My first RB project is now rebuilding that same bike. I will never sell it or let it out of my sight, worth more to me than any boutique brand. This is a pic before the resto started:

d5906e54.jpg

First MTB.

My first mountain bike was a 1991 Trek 850 in red with spatter finish, equipped with Suntour XCE and Diacomp.
I still have and it's pretty much original, the saddle and tyres have changed and bar ends and a few other bits were added.
Sorry no picture ATM :( .

Back