Your 1st MTB

stewlewis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Who has their first MTB, however poor?
Or who's built a replica of their first?

I recently missed out on an Auction to buy my 1st MTB, A Claud Butler Shamen, it'll only went for £22 but was miles away.

Now really wishing I'd made the journey as it was just something special, it's probably a terrible ride, but you know, something tells me I wanted it again.

I guess it's another, what's the best/most fun/most valuable bike. Is it the boutique bike you lusted after or just the first one that gave you a lot of fun?

Much the same as music, Electro, House and Rave was mine, listening back it's crap, but the memories were great.

My brother in law chucked my original Saracen Tufftrax in a skip a few years back without asking if I wanted it back :evil:

Have got another but it's not the same so sits in the spare room on it's own. :roll:

Aww look now, I'm going to have to start the hunt to get mine done.
The one on the 'bay was all original, what's the betting it'll be harder now.

My first MTB was not an actual dedicated MTB, I wouldn't want to have one now as it would be too small for me, being a youth bike.

There were ATBs as well as MTBs, bit like the old Betamax/VHS thing, no one had really landed on a set definition.

Unfortunately I don't have time or space to revisit some of my early bikes.

There is a Honda CR125 sitting in a shed in the US that has my name still on it though. ;)

1st MTB

Officially my first mountain bike was a 24 inch wheel Peugeot Trail, in flourescent pink and black - I though it was the coolest thing on earth bitd. Wish I still had it.

My first real MTB was a 1995 Marin Pine Mountain - trying to build a replica is what got me into RB 2.5 years ago - and it took until literally 2 weeks ago to get my hands on a mint 17.5 '95 Pine Mountain frame. Still have the original forks in my old bedroom at home (removed from the original to fit Mach 5 SXs bitd). They're going on the replica next I head home.

Next up I'm going to build a replica of my next rig - a '97 AA. Might take a while though.

had an 89 saracen traverse, the purple 1. but i broke it on a car.......twice.
still have the mountain lx front mech from it tho :D

Still got my 90 pine mountain - thats why im here, dont think I had an MTB before then. Got is as a box of ex race bits when I was twelve. Thankfully it was way too big at the time bit fits just right now. Just waiting for one more black RM 20 rim to turn up and some paint and then I can start the rebuild.

Ignore the above if a Raliegh Boxers count as MTB. Thats long gone.

Raleigh Boxer was my 1st bike, in yellow. My friend at the time had a Striker, black with fake front suss.

Back