Yeti Ultimate

zonoskar

Retro Guru
I really like this frame, so I'm on the lookout for one. How much do they typically go for these days? Issues I have to be aware of? I know one for sale on mtb-news.de but at 850 euro it's a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Myabe I need a budget stretch?

Final cost is variable, dependent on condition and demand........you have proverbially decided to chase a date with the school hottie though, so get your head down for a buying punch up, and your hand in your pocket...... :D.......if you make it through you will be delighted, and remember quality remains long after the cost is forgotten! I dropped more than that on my litespeed and I don't regret it..........

a small 17" frame only sold on ebay for $700. repair on the rear drop-out, which looked clean.

expect to pay $$$ from the frame alone, and to build up with appropriate "Yeti" approved parts, as it's a unicorn to a lot of people, including myself.

Hi...

Ive owned my ultimate since 1990, they are brilliant ( once you get used to the handling )

Price wise/condition wise , any thing between £700 - 1000 .
top end if mint and comes with its accu-trax, even better if the FTW stem is included, the stem its self can be worth up to £300.

Since joining RB, ive come to learn about rust issue's with old steel framed yeti's..

Places too check :

Inside the seat tube, especially near to the bottom bracket.
if the paint is bubbling on the rear/bottom of the seat tube, it could be too late, and is rusting through...
The older frames with the bmx style seat clamp, can split around the clamp area.
Look out for frames with the sleeved top part of the seat tube. this has been repaired and is usually good done this way, If repaired this way, it will have a welded seat clamp as apposed to the bmx style separate clamps of the early frames.

I checked mine on learning the above, and have found no rust, and have since treated it.

The early californian frames had wider seat stays, and maybe some early durango frames, made narrower later, due to the use of narrow rims..

If you are lucky to find one, and its perfect. you will love it..

Good luck..

Martin

Thanks, very helpful. As for sizing, what would you recommend for someone that's 6' (182cm)? Today I'm riding a 23.8" top tube, but my retro GT RTS has a 22.6" TT, so the Yeti Ultimate 17.5" would be correct size? I must say the RTS is a bit on the small side for me, but it's the same size as the Zaskar I hade back in 1996.

The one on mtb-news.de is 19" and boring black (just been repainted). Also no fork. Because of the black color, I haven't bid yet as I like the iconic Yeti colors better.

zonoskar":30j4f4hf said:
Thanks, very helpful. As for sizing, what would you recommend for someone that's 6' (182cm)? Today I'm riding a 23.8" top tube, but my retro GT RTS has a 22.6" TT, so the Yeti Ultimate 17.5" would be correct size? I must say the RTS is a bit on the small side for me, but it's the same size as the Zaskar I hade back in 1996.

The one on mtb-news.de is 19" and boring black (just been repainted). Also no fork. Because of the black color, I haven't bid yet as I like the iconic Yeti colors better.

At 6' the 19" is perfect for you...

You should go for it, can easily be re powdered, also the decals can be found.

I guess other than reiterating what other posters have said....my personal advice to you is to have an open cheque book. My ARC has been on my bike stand for close to 2 years and still isn't "finished" yet. I've had to change the frame repaired, painted, changed the colour scheme, and replaced parts that just didn't reflect the bike at all. If your looking for a number on ANY Yeti I think you're going to spend twice that on everything in the long run......But its well worth EVERY penny!

Back