Wot happened to fat bikes

Less than a month it lasted.

I went to work to Sines in Portugal (very nice and pacefull place) for 9 months and I didn´t have my bicycles with me, so I thought something diferent could work in that 40km long beach or better known as "death trap for fat bicycles beach" 🤨

That sand is imposible, I have tried everything but that sand is deep and even when you walk you sink on it. Nothing can be ride except a hovercraft and there is no hoverbicycles.

So I have tried on the paths near the beach very nice forest but sandy paths. Imposible to do more than 30km. It was hard and the bicycle still sank. It can even stand up without any aid.

1693323715251.jpeg

It was a nightmare. So I took one of my normal bicycles and ... range extended even on this awfull paths, 40km was again ok, some areas wery hard like in the photo but you pass and that is all, you don´t have to carry that fat tires the rest of the route. And after selling that bicycle, my retro baby come 😊

That was my story with fats, I have tried a nice trek but I didn´t like it. That was much better than this cheap one but not good enough "to go fat."

Tyre pressure makes a huge difference with snow and sand. You need tubeless and no more than 3psi to stand a chance

Anyone interested in a fat bike conversion sram/truvativ GXP BB centre sleeve tube thingo?
Not the cups mind, just the centre bit.
It would take your normal GXP cups and make them into a phat version.
I have one for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_142634.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142634.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230912_142528.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142528.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230912_142546.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142546.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230912_142752.jpg
    IMG_20230912_142752.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Global Fatbike Day once again.
Thought I would share this macretro post here to show Fatbikes aren't dead for us up here in the Highlands either. We had a quiet one for us three but there was a longer, starting earlier ride out of Inverness with a few dozen riders.
For timings for myself as it's a few hours south for me we just did it in a small group. I think this must be close to 10 for Brian and I.

Similar to last year, Caleb, my son 13, joined Brian and myself for a ride down Brians locality. Brian and I on our trusty Pugsley and Caleb on his Baby Fatty. That may be it's last ride as he is rapidly outgrowing it.
We headed out through Strathpeffer and this time upwards to the stone circle then followed the hill along it's side slowly climbing to emerge up on knockfarral. We then rode along the top and descended down the Dingwall side and then rode back along the valley on the Peffery way to Strathpeffer station and then back up the road to the deli for another warming cuppa and some cake. We did stop there on the way through to start this loop when we had some coffee and bacon rolls for lunch.
Weather was glorious, sunny, dry though very icy and very cold. I don't think it got above 0 degree all day.
Brilliant afternoon out riding, just getting back on dark, which was cutting it fine with no lights between us. Caleb and I then drove back up the road before it was too icy.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Jamie Dyer,

Brilliant guys!
My ride was short, solo and to the post office in the next village. But a fair bit was off road and the snow was 1" over an icy base.

You should post your report and photos on MTBR : they have a fat bike section, and if course a world fat biking day thread........

Brilliant guys!
My ride was short, solo and to the post office in the next village. But a fair bit was off road and the snow was 1" over an icy base.

You should post your report and photos on MTBR : they have a fat bike section, and if course a world fat biking day thread........
Tenbikes, I do often post on MTBR though I must admit not as often as I should these last few years. I ten to hang round the Surly page and the singlespeeders due to my 1X1 and until these last 2 rides, my Pugsley.
Cheers

Jamie

Those guards look fantastic!
Yes Brians Pugsley has the modified red trials motorcycle guards. Very effective. I have always just run the mud shovels. To be fair they are about 10 years old, done a lot of miles in all weathers, run at least half a dozen Strathpuffer 24hours and the rear one is held together with stickers but they have kept me relatively dry, despite people laughing at them for years. Though obviously no where near as dry as Brians ;)

Jamie

Latest posts

Back