Why do you collect retro bikes?

Probably not the right thread to discuss this but does having just 1 retro mtb qualify someone as a collector?

I am asking bc I only have one fully built mtb from the era although will soon start working on building another.

Is someone collecting only parts to trade or sell for eg considered a retro mtb collector?

Sorry for philosophical questions but hey they are coming from a 🇬🇷 so you can’t possibly expect anything else! 😁

Based on the fact that your 1 retro bike is a '91 Yo!, you are indeed a connoisseur and a person of taste! 👌

(And a lucky f@*£er!) 🤣

Probably not the right thread to discuss this but does having just 1 retro mtb qualify someone as a collector?

I am asking bc I only have one fully built mtb from the era although will soon start working on building another.

Is someone collecting only parts to trade or sell for eg considered a retro mtb collector?

Sorry for philosophical questions but hey they are coming from a 🇬🇷 so you can’t possibly expect anything else! 😁
I think it is up to you to define 😄

Nothing wrong with being a collector of course...but for me, although I do collect retrobikes and certainly have a collection of them, I don't think of myself as a 'collector'. More of a restorer and and rider who just hasn't sold any of the bikes he has restored 😄 The object for me, is to build them up and ride them, rather than just have them...

I think it is up to you to define 😄

Nothing wrong with being a collector of course...but for me, although I do collect retrobikes and certainly have a collection of them, I don't think of myself as a 'collector'. More of a restorer and and rider who just hasn't sold any of the bikes he has restored 😄 The object for me, is to build them up and ride them, rather than just have them...

To be fair, I see myself exactly the same mate, which is why none of my stuff is NOS or museum quality. Like cars I’ve been involved with restoring in the past, I prefer the survivor mentality…Extremely good condition but patinated/ aged and that’s how I build my bikes, extremely clean, well specced but patinated and rideable…👌🏼

Yep.
One is enough (in so many ways)

Just wondering what drives everyone to collect the retro bikes that they do? Are they from a particular era, frame material, discipline, nostalgia or you like a bit of everything

I like dirt jump/4x/DS bikes from the late nineties and early noughties. At this time there was a lot of exciting development with disc brakes coming mainstream, 9 speed and some well built CNC components. I mainly get the bikes I lusted over in the magazines, so a huge part of it is nostalgia. I have a soft spot for Kona, Orange, and Curtis but not fussy about frame material.

So why do you collect?

Because I like old bikes I suppose... Some of it is nostalgia (though I draw the line at searching out a Professional "Black Russian" or Townsend Mt Tobin like I rode BITD) and grabbing bikes I'd lusted after as a spotty teen on a gas-pipe Emmelle 26/24 mullet ratty stunt build. Then again, some of it is the history & wanting to find older stuff and try it out to see how it was even before I was into dirt (was a roadie exclusively until about '95). One day I'm hoping to lay hands on a real Klunker, and wouldn't pass up an old Tracker if one ever turns up at the tip. Might even build one some day. Till then though, yeh. I just like old bikes of all shapes n sizes, they're cool alright?

This mainly, they're cheaper and easier to store than cars or motorcycles, or that's how it started at least.

Now it's just something to get nerdy about and the community is ace tbh. It's a bit of a tonic for every day stresses in many ways, whether it's just reading about bike history, tinkering or riding, it's all enjoyable and (mostly) harmless.
Actually, now you mention it yes I think a large part of it is the community aspect even though I'm not a social animal as such. I suppose theres an element of nostalgia here too, in that we're lucky to have a quite active forum whereas most other folk have migrated to *shudder* Facebook and Instagram etc.

Back