Why do you collect retro bikes?

I don't collect (bikes or anything else). However, I have a preference towards retro bikes because:
-when I got my first adult sized bike it was the early 90s, so I'm biased
-I like bikes that are easy and cheap to maintain, with rigid forks, and with standards that don't get obsolete in 6 months
-I like steel frames (again maybe biased as in the 90s most bikes were steel) and modern bikes are made of mostly other materials not as long lasting or visually pleasing
….although…steel…

Cotic
Stanton
Chromag
RA
Ragley
Curtiss
Surly
DMR

Steel is alive and well at the leading edge of design in both hard tails and FS, thank goodness. Stanton and Surly particularly concerned about supporting riders re differing standards and provide a means of handling 27.5 and 29 and different rear axle standards.

I wanted a San Andreas the first second I saw one in the ad.
Once I had my 1995 8.6 built new in 1995, and I still have it, I got a Moho then it was on.
Everything I have is Mountain Cycle.
I now have two SA’s, my Moho, a CXS, a Tremor and a Shockwave Mk1.
The struggle is real 😁

F#*kers on here keep putting stuff I like up for sale...

This! :oops: 🤣

I used to race in the early 90's and despite being fortunate enough to own a Klein back then, I couldn't afford to maintain the thing, so it made way for more affordable bikes. My bikes today are ones I would've built BITD, I also love the aesthetic of mid 90's bikes...the geo, the racy stance (sloping top tube, long low stem and flite up in the air! 😍) and the engineering, finishing of the components and innovation that was being introduced back then...They were great times for the sport and hobby!

I do have 29er FS and HT's for my weekend smashes through the woods, but as I have said before, they're more tools for a job and the retros are the little treasures that sit in the warm and are pandered too...

(The current view from my office! 🤣)

IMG_2773.jpeg

Last edited:
This! :oops: 🤣

I used to race in the early 90's and despite being fortunate enough to own a Klein back then, I couldn't afford to maintain the thing, so it made way for more affordable bikes. My bikes today are ones I would've built BITD, I also love the aesthetic of mid 90's bikes...the geo, the racy stance (sloping top tube, long low stem and flite up in the air! 😍) and the engineering, finishing of the components and innovation that was being introduced back then...They were great times for the sport and hobby!

I do have 29er FS and HT's for my weekend smashes through the woods, but as I have said before, they're more tools for a job and the retros are the little treasures that sit in the warm and are pandered too...

(The current view from my office! 🤣)

View attachment 802234
Nice showroom if it wasn't for those car....things...🤣

Probably not the right thread to discuss this but does having just 1 retro mtb qualify someone as a collector?

I am asking bc I only have one fully built mtb from the era although will soon start working on building another.

Is someone collecting only parts to trade or sell for eg considered a retro mtb collector?

Sorry for philosophical questions but hey they are coming from a 🇬🇷 so you can’t possibly expect anything else! 😁

Probably not the right thread to discuss this but does having just 1 retro mtb qualify someone as a collector?

I am asking bc I only have one fully built mtb from the era although will soon start working on building another.

Is someone collecting only parts to trade or sell for eg considered a retro mtb collector?

Sorry for philosophical questions but hey they are coming from a 🇬🇷 so you can’t possibly expect anything else! 😁
In my eyes yes. Every tour starts with the first step...
And "working on building another" is the true soul of being a retro bike collector!

Back