WHY building a bike for my daughter

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
So, I've promised my daughter I'll build her a nice bike for Christmas this year to replace her current steed, a 20" wheeled Raleigh Krush.

Budget is very tight on this one, so anything that has been lurking is the dusty corners needing a clean up is fine with me (I quite enjoy the cleaning stage)

She is 138cm tall with a 60cm inside leg (4'-6" and 23" in old money) so I'm guessing a 14" frame. This is the part I want to get right so any advise will be greatly recieved.

Wheels, chaingear, brakes, handlesbars, the lot are needed, as I have no parts bin at all.

TIA

I might be able to rustle up some brand new Shimano compatible Sram MRX gripshifters for ya (no shorty grips for them though, just the shifters)

Not sure which speed ones I have left but I'll have a look if you like

Oh, they're Karma too. If you want them posted only the cost of the postage needs to be covered.

if i had a daughter this is the direction i would go..24'' wheels..

Attachments

• 1987_M800.jpg
    1987_M800.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,012
Thanks for the offers so far chaps. PM coming your way Andy.

I've been luck and won a small GT frame on Ebay this afternoon for the pricely sum of £1.04 :D

$(KGrHqZ,!jQE3NfN)1W6BOJuFRb8Ew~~0_12.JPG

I've got a set of silver straight handlebars in good nick.
£6 posted.
Brnad new Madison Flux saddle £12 posted.

Also, what size seatpost does that frame take?

AR-CoolC":2h9zv86v said:
Thanks for the offers so far chaps. PM coming your way Andy.
Nothing's arrived in my inbox yet

I may also have some V brakes & a couple of other bits & bobs, possibly some pedals, I'm off work on Friday so I'll see what I can dig up from the parts bin

bike

i had a girlfriend who was 4 ft 8"- i'd second the 24" wheels. i bought an old gt of here that had 24" wheels and a tiny frame and after adjustments it was perfect

Back