Who's got what on the go, right now...??

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Okay, I'll admit it... I'm having a (long overdue) second wind on projects at the moment, so I thought a quick spot check would be in order, just to see how the troops are faring in the fields...

List what you've got project-wise on the go here and it's current state:

Rules of engagement -

Only 'live' project builds started in 2011
Only project builds that have a sporting chance of being completed this summer

I'll go first. Having cut my teeth on 6 rebuilds for myself and friends I've now got 2 builds from scratch on the go.

First is my '97 Orange P7 as seen on my signature. Still looking for a nothread 1" headset in silver (good quality without the price tag) and a silver 31.8 x-lite seat collar. Wheels are being built at wills wheels as I type. Really happy with progress.

Second, an early '91 Zaskar near full m730, just looking for a set of good cranks with black rings. Using some DX stuff (NOS pedals and hubs) from the same period. Also need a NOS 26.8 syncros in black, can swap for the same in silver.

Regards.

This is what is currently on the go with the intention to finish this summer:

1994 Dyna Tech Diablo - to replace my broken 1992 frame. Needs one more coat of paint and then at least two laquer coats, decals then ready to build. All the parts are sourced for an LX M563 groupset. Should be ready for in time for Mountain Mayhem.

1990 DiamondBack Ascent - frame and forks need stripping and painting. Probably going for a splatter paint-job on this one and a Deore II/early DX build up. Most of the parts are sourced for this one too.

1997 GT Zaskar - After stripping and polishing last year (cheating I know) it now just needs the decals applying and a final decision on gears. Probably going with SRAM ESP900.

There's also a 1993 Lava Dome frame which still needs the remnants of a seatpost removing and a respray/ paint repair. Most likely build this up with it's original Exage ES groupset. Might have this one ready in time for next winter.

frame 2000 stumpjumper 17” 1635 at powder coater as we speak, decals arrived from gil :D
forks Pace rc31 780 in post
headset Chris king 1 1/8 110 got
Bars Use atom 140
stem Syntace f99 109
Seat post Use sumo 30.9x 400mm 228
Seat clamp 34.9mm kcnc 11 got
saddle Selle Italia slr 144 got
Brake levers extralite 62
brakes extralite front+rear 198
cables 100
Bottom bracket Un91 xtr 238 got
Front wheel Tune stans 595 got
Back wheel Tune stans 720 got
Handlebar grips extralite 18 got
Tyres Maxi featherlite 330 330/330 got
pedals Cook bros 4 ti 167
tubes Maxi featherlite 100/100 got
Single speed kit Spacers and cog and tensioner 37 spacers+lockring
25 cog got
100 tensioner got
Crank and uno ring Middleburn rs7 uno 474
Crank bolts middleburn 31 steel /21ti
skewers kcnc 41 got
chain 250

7063g / 15.57lb

My GT RTS is used daily so that's a work in progress, recently upgrading the magura mounts to the new style, and new piggyback rear shock.

Proflex 957 is very nearly rideable, still need to setup the rear brakes, split the hoses and thread through the frame mounts, then bleeding. The rear shock needs a rebuild and rear shock strut needs blasting/powder coating but back in action soon.

The Mrs bike has just has new V's, grips, tyres and now wheels.

Must stop spending soon!!!! But having a spare bike now allows me to take one to bits at least!

Just dismantled my Dolan built road bike. Today is therefore the first official day of spring - gets rebuilt every year about this time. It is my commuter so it gets winterfied in November, cleaned regularly but the last remnants of winter will be cleaned this weekend.

I completely strip it, new chain and cables, new bar tape, touch up any paint chips etc.

Needs to be finished by Tuesday (back to work vehicle). Luckily there is nothing on the telly on Friday.

Actually I think I need to learn how to do helicoils as I've just beggared up the mech cable stops (for the barrel adjusters). Just searched on youtube on how to do helicoils - strangely most of the suggested videos were of a gynaecological nature, what's that all about? So commuting will most likely be Paceified!

The Pace has had its spring strip down - just one sticky v brake arm to sort and all done (see seperate thread). But then my Time ATACs could always benefit from a strip down and new bearings...

I am still working on a '92 Rocky Mountain Stratos just awaiting:-
RM stem from Canada (due this week)
7spd Cassette (here any day)

then onto a 88 Giant Super Strada which is getting a Deore ll build :)

Some mongrel Diamond Back titanium something or other :LOL:

The steerer tube on my forks is too short so I'm going to swap that out for a longer one I have just got from Mojo. However I'm bidding on another pair of Fox Forx which I'm thinking of using instead.

I also need a new saddle and bars etc. It should be a excellent steed for Mountain Mayhem.

SP

Redline RL340 BMX (for son) just needs brake cables. FINISHED
Scott Voltage MX2 (for girlfriend) needs handlebar controls, cables, cassette, chain, rear mech, saddle and B/B to finish (all of which I have somewhere :roll: ).
Apollo Reckless 24" (for friend) just needs a service (I think :? ). FINISHED
Scott Boulder (for me/to sell) needs B/B, chainset, cassette, chain, R/mech, F/mech and pedals (all of which I have). FINISHED but not sold yet.
And have just bought a GT Avalanche 2.0 frame, today, that needs everything (all of which I have :shock: I think :? ) FINISHED and sold.
Oh and a Merida Dakar 630 (to sell) brought from tip for a quid, that needs various bits and bobs to sort. FINISHED and sold.
Think I'm going to be a busy bee the next few weeks !! :D

Back