Who races retro bikes still?

TedC":3cxwe1li said:
The Retrobike "pits area" at Mayhem this year...some before and some after their lap. :shock:

Has no one heard of kickstands?

Or soap?

Sheesh!

It is great to see bikes actually being used!

TedC":2he72rew said:
The Retrobike "pits area" at Mayhem this year...some before and some after their lap. :shock:

Can you tell which are which...? :LOL:

Apart from Mayhem I've done a few others on either proper retro '94ish or a slightly modded '97. The '97 is my beloved Ibis Alibi which, at 21ish lbs should have been perfect for all the climbing at the Whinlatter challenge, however due to rider weakness I was getting passed on the climbs and then thrashing back past all the big full sussers on the downs! TB P2s - all the flex you ever need... :LOL:

elPedro666":1infb6q3 said:
TedC":1infb6q3 said:

Can you tell which are which...? :LOL:

Apart from Mayhem I've done a few others on either proper retro '94ish or a slightly modded '97. The '97 is my beloved Ibis Alibi which, at 21ish lbs should have been perfect for all the climbing at the Whinlatter challenge, however due to rider weakness I was getting passed on the climbs and then thrashing back past all the big full sussers on the downs! TB P2s - all the flex you ever need... :LOL:

Its funny you say that because thats my lasting memory at mayhem this year, all the full suss boys and girls couldnt descend for love nor money :LOL:

But i guess thats whats happening these days people are jumping straight onto a full susser first and not learning their trade on the hardtail.

Ive given them a name anyway............golfers...... :LOL:

I'm thinking of racing my zaskar at a couple of rounds of the soggy bottom winter series at newnham park.
Unable to race the first round which starts tomorrow as I need a bit of training
Prefer to race the zaskar than my modern stumpy fsr

Kirbdug :D

Did A Challenge called Bicyclemania (in lincolnshire) and we had a small group of us. Probably will again. Also there are a few popping up not too far away, so might pencil them in for myself next year.
Problem is riding not in the 'races' is free so they'll have to be good to pull me in.
Have been looking in to doing some MTBO's (BMBO http://www.bmbo.org.uk/ ) as they should be up my street for a race, a bit more thinking. ooh just seen one near me soon with NYMBO going to have a look at that :D

I won a race on my '99 GT Psyclone earlier in the year. Mind you, there were only 3 people in the race....

Ten Under the Ben on a 1989 Raleigh White Lightnin', gots lots of wows from other racers for that. Strathpuffer Lite on a Raleigh MTB Team 531 circa 89, again other racers nodded aproval. 2 x SSUK's on a Trek 8500 circa 1990. :cool:

Old bikes are not the weak link its the old rider :LOL:

I think it's pretty clear that older bikes are just fine for XC, which really hasn't changed much in the last couple of decades (getting smoother and less technical if anything.)

Back