Which parts for GT STS XCR 1000

xicofig

Retro Newbie
Hi all!

I'm new here and I recently bought a GT GT STS XCR 1000. I also some old Shimano FC-M 952 XTR Cranks.

Which Bottom Bracket should I use for this combination?

I'm also after some opinion on which parts should I use to "rebuild" the bike...

Thanks in advance for all the help you can provide!

I would do a rebuild with full XTR M95*, decal color-matched SID fork, CrossMax and Syncros - something close to stock anyway...

I know that not all BB's fit, so you must be careful with that, but as far as I am informed certain BB's from the more modern era (the splined ES series before the recent two-piece cranksets) can be used on certain XTR M95* cranks, I just don't know precisely what the matches are. You will need to look up technical info of all those, but that shouldn't be very hard.

Good luck!
Mx

Thanks for your inputs!
I'm also trying to rebuild it as close to original as possible, but it will be hard to get some parts, like the CrossMax wheels and SID Fork...

Does anyone know what was the original handlebar, stem length/angle, and the Thomson seatpost diameter?

What do you all think about a RockShox Judy FSX fork on this bike? "Specialized" fork on a GT? :roll:

As far as I know, this bike came with an Azonic O.R.C. stem and GT handlebar. I'd go for an Azonic bar, as they are quality and are typical for the period, and I'd choose a silver polished stem/bar combo, for the nice contrast with the STS frame. Thomson seatpost (I think it's a pretty common 31.4) and King headset in the same silver polished appearance and you have a package! I miss seeing silver bits on bikes, like it was in the 90's. Now everything is black, flat black or white and it bores me to death.

I don't think the SID and the wheels would be as hard to sort out as other older components, but for these I think you can go for versions which are newer, as long as the color and general appearance is right. It wouldn't be such a big faux-pas... I am not so sure about FSX's, though. In my mind they belong to a Specialized bz default, but that's just me.

Of course, all of the above are suggestions are my take on things. This is an expensive hobby and I don't want to tell you to throw your money away. As long as the bike will be running all is good. I hope you will have a good time building it and riding it.

Here's the bikepedia link to the bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Cheers,
Mx

I have recently just rebuilt one of these with an almost original spec, just a few things I have changed one of which was the original stem (Azonic ORC) and handlebar - I still have the bar if you need one, its a GT XCR branded black alloy riser

Seat post was a Thomson Elite and is a 31.6

Crossmax wheels do turn up on here every so often but make sure you get some decent ones, the (very thin) spokes just seem to pull straight out of them

You can see my bike here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=sts+cxr
:D

Look Fournales

Thanks to you all!

I want to install a Look Fournales fork to this bike, but the only size I can get is an S.

The S size, is for a head tube + bearings length of a maximum 137mm, but the bike with Ringlé lower and upper bearings is 144mm in length (7mm more).

Is there any bearing set that I can use to reduce the total length by 7mm?

Anyone experienced on this forks? Is the 7mm difference that critical? I'm afraid it is...

Back