Where/Which spares for an Exage 300 LX rear Mech

afp401

MacRetro Rider
I need a new top jokey pully (excessive sideways play) and new spring adjusting B-tension (there is no effect when adjusting the screw).
Anywhere I can get new old stock? Or which readily available spares for more modern mechs will do the trick.

The top jockey wheel should move about 1.5mm either way. Its very unusual for them to wear out other than the teeth flattening out.

As for the rest, just find another mech - anything Shimano will do all the way up until 10 spd came along.

Re:

Thanks, for the info. Play is more like 5-8mm. A lot more than the lower pulley.
Will some crappy sis do it? I dont want really want to canibalize a another decent
working mech.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. 300LX mechs are bent metal under the black plastic. They sell on this site for under £10 (probably more like £5) if you really insist on buying one. Treat yourself to a Deore LX one which will be a little lighter and probably work better.

SIS ones usually have larger jockeys which don't fit.

hamster":4yptsg4u said:
Treat yourself to a Deore LX one which will be a little lighter and probably work better.

Whoa there, elitist! What's wrong with a man who loves Exage 300 LX. The way I see it, it's 300 better than standard Deore LX ;)

Not elitist. I ride solidly blue collar bikes, it's simply that you can get a tidy used Deore LX for the price of a spare pair of jockey wheels. Let's face it, at £10 a big wedge of the cost is postage!

Hmmm... I'm not sure why I was thinking that Exage was the same level as Deore just an earlier name. That is disapointing. I'm glad I know. Need to check the components catalogues on here i guess. So i don't end up down cycling by accident.

Local LBS has offered to have a look through thier old mechs for a fitting Jokey wheel
So I'll go with the Jokey wheels because:

1. Trashing shomething that could be repaired grates with me. Even if repair costs more.
We should have legislation requiring any company that manufactures anything to design it so that all parts are easily replaceable, (with electronics even upgradable e.g. digital camera sensor), and be requiring them to stock spares indefinitely. (why do I have tp replace my car headlight if the perspex cover is broke)?

2. if I buy a Deore LX who is to say something is not wrong/worn with it and I need to buy spares anyway. At least I know what's wrong with what I got.

I guess I need to ride a propery set up Deore LX. if the difference is noticeable I'll change it.

Latest posts

Back