What year is my GT Avalanche???

sleepercell

Dirt Disciple
Hi all could anyone please tell me what year this GT Avalanche is, I have had it since new and I know its late 90's but I can't recall which year I got it and it might have been old model year as it was on offer at the time.

P.S. I love this site takes me back to the days I used to save my paper round money for Titanium bolts just to save another couple of grams off my my A-Stars Al-Mega, and all the purple I could fit on my bike.
Did anyone here race the Cannock chase classics in the early 90's I loved it there great atmosphere. Loved it even more when i polished off the mad paint job off my bike, looked great with the Gold RS MAG20's.
I really wish I had locked the shed properly that night as I would be showing you all pictures of that mean machine, but the £3000 insurance came in handy buying my first car.....

Quite fancy rebuilding the old Al-Mega with all the trick bits I had.

Attachments

• GTAvalanche.jpg
    GTAvalanche.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,238
I know I have tried to find it in the catalogues that are knocking around the internet but none that colour, its original as I bought it from new just not sure of model year.

Re:

Hi guys, bringing back an old post, but had to post up my bike which is the same frame as this. It's definitely a 1998 - i bought mine back in about 2002 off a mate, and it pretty much had the standard parts on it listed in that catalog image above; Z2 BAMs with 80mm travel, SLX / XT mix, Kore Lite bar and stem.

Not sure why the gold paint though - I was told that mine was one of three in Australia, so there's something special about them. I had read something about perhaps having to win a race to get one, but not sure if that's accurate. Does anyone know why they are so rare??

I just finished a new build for mine. It was sitting in the shed for a while stripped down, and I decided that I needed a bash around hardtail to build up again to get back into riding trails.

Hope you like the build.

Re:

GT Avalanche 1998, Gold

Melbourne, Australia

Attachments

• gt_1.jpg
    gt_1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 774
  • gt_2.jpg
    gt_2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 774
Back