What would you do?

If you've never used tubs before and decide to go that route, dry mount the tubs and keep them inflated for a week or so to stretch them before fixing them to the rims when you do fix them use the tub tape. There's something of a technique required to mount a tub and even if you know it the first time you mount a tub with glue you'll end up with it all over your hands, the tub side walls and the braking surfaces of the rim. And most likely on the floor and walls too, so don't try it inside the house if you value your life, I still remember the bollockings I used to get from my mother whenever I got Dunlop rubber solution or Clement Gutta on a floor or worse - on a carpet. Though I did mount a few tubs with shellac for track riders when I worked in a bike shop I never used the stuff on my own wheels because the process was too long-winded (like days) for me.

If you've never used tubs before and decide to go that route, dry mount the tubs and keep them inflated for a week or so to stretch them before fixing them to the rims when you do fix them use the tub tape. There's something of a technique required to mount a tub and even if you know it the first time you mount a tub with glue you'll end up with it all over your hands, the tub side walls and the braking surfaces of the rim. And most likely on the floor and walls too, so don't try it inside the house if you value your life, I still remember the bollockings I used to get from my mother whenever I got Dunlop rubber solution or Clement Gutta on a floor or worse - on a carpet. Though I did mount a few tubs with shellac for track riders when I worked in a bike shop I never used the stuff on my own wheels because the process was too long-winded (like days) for me.
I’ll keep that in mind if I go down the tubs route. If getting them on is that much hassle, how much hassle is a puncture out in the back of beyond. Does that involve glue and forearms like popeye or do I just put my arm up and wait for the neutral service car?

Ah the appeal of the retro-mod. Like trainers worn with a suit, it might be comfortable and more functional but can it ever really be right?

On a side note, if Tullio could see the front mech on the electronic wireless super record he’d be heartbroken to see what his name was being slapped on.

For anything other than racing we used to use glue that remained slightly tacky and usually carried a used tub as a spare which would have similar tacky traces of glue on the base tape so the spare would grip pretty well on a rim when needed. You had to remember not to brake heavily or throw the bike into tight corners afterward though.

I’ll keep that in mind if I go down the tubs route. If getting them on is that much hassle, how much hassle is a puncture out in the back of beyond. Does that involve glue and forearms like popeye or do I just put my arm up and wait for the neutral service car?
carry a spare.
Doesn't have to be looped over the shoulders,
Screenshot_20240924-175521_Firefox.jpg but if you have a large moustache, it helps.

Back