What would you do?

Island Jim

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Everyone,

I have a Joe Waugh frame (531c) that came off EBay a couple of years ago and I’m finally getting round to doing something with it.

My plan is to get a professional respray, new decals etc and build it into a very nice example of a steel race bike. I don’t know the year but the guy I bought it from thought it was from about 86/87. Frame no is 2565 if that means anything to anyone.

My questions are to the great retro bike hive mind…

1 - who would you use for a respray and to check the frame and forks are true and safe etc before painting?

2 - I’ve never been a fan of cables routed over the top tube, is removing the three cable guides and replacing with 2 split cable guides under the top tube a terrible thing to do? Like putting pvc windows in a listed building. If you were getting this sort of thing done who would you recommend? I think it probably is a bad idea but I’m just airing my thought process.

3 - what groupset would you choose? I’m a big of a fan of Shimano and I’ve been thinking of Dura Ace 7200. Would this be considered too high end for a 531 frame? if you’re a Campag fan, what would you recommend? I want to go for 1980s downtube shifters and preferably indexed.

4 - what’s a good rim/wheelset to look out for? Clinchers or tubs? (I’ve never used or even ridden on them)

5 - all the other bits, recommendations for bars, stem, brake pads etc

I’m not building a daily ride, more something to get out on dry days, club rides and Erotica type events.

Any help much appreciated

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2680.jpeg
    IMG_2680.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 4
1: Argos in Bristol
2: just do it. Some cable routing fashions were no good.
3: 531c is a top tubeset for the period. Dura Ace is entirely suitable
4: tubs feel fantastic, but punctures are a pain.
I haven't had a puncture on tubs for over 1000 miles (👉🪵) but I wouldn't use them every day, through the underpass, or just after the hedges have been trimmed (also you can buy the wheels for very little because all the racers used then back then, but almost no-one wants them now.
5: go Italian on the finishing kit. Campagnolo post, cinelli bar and stem etc

6: check for a typo in that penultimate paragraph...😉

Last edited:
Thanks Bike workshop, all good info. Are tubs still readily available? Are they straightforward enough to install etc? I remember hearing horror stories about them coming off the rim. I’m guessing most of its urban myth, like I’ve heard carbon frame all snap, even though I’ve only ever seen evidence of it once etc.

No typos were found, you should see the clothing at these events😉

Tubs still available, but not cheap ones any more.
We stock one from Vittoria, about £30iirc
They feel like a larger tyre, but the wheel setup is lighter and rolls faster
😍... on a vintage racing bike.

Racers used to glue them on with shellac (i have done this) and some would scrimp on the glue to save weight. Additionally if you took a tyre off you might not bother spending hours getting the old glue off.
Nowdays I'd recommend double sided tub tape. It's fun to do too, and they won't roll off.

Any poorly maintained bike can become a death trap, and the owner often blames the component🙄

Hi Everyone,

I have a Joe Waugh frame (531c) that came off EBay a couple of years ago and I’m finally getting round to doing something with it.

My plan is to get a professional respray, new decals etc and build it into a very nice example of a steel race bike. I don’t know the year but the guy I bought it from thought it was from about 86/87. Frame no is 2565 if that means anything to anyone.

My questions are to the great retro bike hive mind…

1 - who would you use for a respray and to check the frame and forks are true and safe etc before painting?

2 - I’ve never been a fan of cables routed over the top tube, is removing the three cable guides and replacing with 2 split cable guides under the top tube a terrible thing to do? Like putting pvc windows in a listed building. If you were getting this sort of thing done who would you recommend? I think it probably is a bad idea but I’m just airing my thought process.

3 - what groupset would you choose? I’m a big of a fan of Shimano and I’ve been thinking of Dura Ace 7200. Would this be considered too high end for a 531 frame? if you’re a Campag fan, what would you recommend? I want to go for 1980s downtube shifters and preferably indexed.

4 - what’s a good rim/wheelset to look out for? Clinchers or tubs? (I’ve never used or even ridden on them)

5 - all the other bits, recommendations for bars, stem, brake pads etc

I’m not building a daily ride, more something to get out on dry days, club rides and Erotica type events.

Any help much appreciated

Jim
There’s no rust so I would advise a paint touch-up and then buff out with course rubbing compound. I like originality with a patina of age but that’s not to everyone’s taste.

80s campag looks great and stylish but works nowhere near as good as indexed shimano. Note that DA 7200 isn't indexed, its just friction shift. You need DA 7400. But this won't be cheap. Personally, I'd go for Shimano 6400 aka Tricolour. It works brilliantly and bits are still quite common and prices sensible. And it was typical of what a club racer would have had in the 80s

Back