What was your best investment in a modern part for you bike?

Danone

Devout Dirtbag
Just adding finishing touches to my modern classic build (Pictures pending), all replaced with it's modern counterpart including V-brakes!

The bike was purchased in it's original factory setup. Unchanged and overall good spec but some parts needed replacing, i decided to modernise parts, some are minor tweaks such as the headset, twist shifters, brakes, saddle and seatpost. Other updates are more noticeable; external BB cartridge/Crankset and forks. The wheelset's upgraded but remain original V-brake type (Circa 2000).

I didn't replace the frame! For obvious reasons. The overall result? I think it deserved the new look. No regrets, although i'm having second thoughts about replacing my Marzocchi Bomber Z4 with Rock Shox Recon 351.

I'm a fan of mid-school and modern retro builds, what's your experience of combining old with new?

just dismantled a 1990 clockwork built on sram x-9, hope mono / mavic wheelset, avid arch rivals etc.

it was fully rigid & I needed to go back to something with a bit of give to allow me to walk the day after a ride. its now all gone onto an early orange X-1 (with the exception of the brakes which are magura hs33's). I was toying with the idea of a more modern fork than the judy thats on there but i promised myself not to spend more than £50 on this thing & to actually get out and ride it more than i did the last 3 builds!

I think I've said it before but I'll say it again anyway...

I don't really see the point of 'modernising' an old bike. I like the characteristics of old bikes and I like how they have evolved over time.
If I want the handling, performance and character etc of a modern bike then I take out a modern bike.

Modernising is a bit like putting gears on a single-speed because it'll make the hills easier.

That said more 'consumable' parts like chains, cassettes, tyres and rims are often used on my old bikes.
Other than that they are more or less period correct for a reason.

But each to his own.

A classic lugged steel road bike looks good with modern - MTB stuff just doesnt look as sexy.

Ritchey Classic stuff is quite nice though

Ritchey-Classic.jpg

ritchey-448x500.jpg

Have to confess I am diametrically opposite to DSP...

...as a 'Custom Car' devotee for as long as I can remember and with BSH since its launch, I'm all for customising old frames with modern kit; Sinnetts disk-clad cro-mega immediately springs to mind :cool:

I prefer the lines of old steel bikes, and there's some terrific kit out there, but the finished article has to 'look' right to me; struggling with my Explosif at the mo because, although sag compensates for the longer fork when riding, off the bike it doesn't have that purposeful look the shorter fork did :?

I have gone for the reverse on two of my modern bikes, Bullseye cranks on my rigid and road Seven:

SNC14751.jpg

Edit: just noticed that in this photo the MTB had the DeKerf Ti bar/stem combo. So 20 year old cranks and 12 year old bar stem.

I went a bit far on this one, modernised the shit out of it, but then it is 1999 so it's not really retro to start with:

BowTi.jpg

Best part, working brakes. Bow Tis always had bad rear brakes as the long stays are meant to flex and flex even more when v's are appliedwhich means brakes don't work properly. Discs solve that and make the bike better

One final one...on most of my other vintage bike which have bullseye cranks on I have swapped out the shonky bullie bearings for Shimano thru-axle ones and Gil_m made shims. Instant waterproof bearings that don't die after one ride and are easy to source.

Latest posts

Back