what U got that exceeded/didn't exceed the expectations?

had a gt lts dh, was my dream bike bitd. while it rode nicely, it did't set my world on fire.

now my tatty old zaskar. thought it would be a real harsh race style feel. wrong. really comfy, fits so well.

The prolfex I longed for for years only to eventually own and realise they're a wierd shape.
Small frame is a seat post length of 18" and a top tube of only 20" making it almost unridable, even with a lay back post and a 120mm stem.

The marin I bought when I couldn't afford a proflex, no matter what else I try I keep going back to it.

Disappointing: the Marin Pine Mtn I bought in 1994. After 17 years I finally sold it (in fairness it was slightly too large probably).

Impressive: the 1994 Kona Lava Dome frame I bought to replace it. I finally made good a bad choice so many years earlier. I transplanted all the bits from the Marin, and riding was transformed.

My dynatech impressed me as well even tho' the spinner forks weighted more than the frame.

Scott Ped SE brakes impressed me for not much money.

My Graftons were extremely disappointing, and were a lot of money even 2nd hand

i have to say, both my pace rc100 & my klein attitude have both far exceeded my expectations.
the xtr m900 is brilliant.
as for my gt zaskar it leaves me a little underwhelmed.

Disappointment? Pace RC38 Air forces. Spent ages finding a nice pair. Big disappointment. Just not suited to my riding style. Thought it was my RC200 that was the problem till I fitted RC36EvoIIs.

Pleasant surprise? How nice my RC35s have come up - yes - the ones I almost chucked in the bin.

Suntour, just never did work that well, but looked good.

a bit Modern, but the new XTR Disc Brakes are mental, one finger modulated lockup if you need to. Fantastic.

I have to add Magura rim brakes to the positive list: Powerful, controllable, flawless reliability over 15 years. :cool:

Back