What puts you off a bike/frame?

I must say I can agree with many of the reactions over here. I have some dislikes of my own:

-Disc brakes, I simply do not understand why anybody want disc brakes in countries where a good V-brake could do, like the Netherlands.

-Integrated anythings: headsets, bottom brackets, cables.

-Alternative full-suspension or hardtail frame designs like Y frames or bulky alu frames. Such as some Funk, Intense, Yeti, Mountain Cycle frames. What's wrong with the standard diamond frame design (or any design near it)

-The popularity in meaningless plastic so called "carbon" frames. In some cases the Carbon has an actual use, but in general they do it for the "looks". The looks of a tupperware bicycle? Where are the nicely build steel and alu frames from the early and mid '90?

-The development in transmissions, campa has a 11 speed road transmission groupset. Was 9 not enough?

-People who do not take care for their bikes, retro or non retro. It is a shame.

O well, I could go on for a while, fortunately I see some really good developments in the bicycle scene, like singlespeed and Fixed gear bikes. Really down to earth and back to basic bikes. Although I don't own one, I really enjoy seeing them a lot on forums and magazines. Some of them are really original, and many old steel bikes get a second life by converting them from road bike to fixxie.

grtz
Gène

Downhill specific bikes (the bastard offspring of real mountain bikes).

I suspect there are people who'll argue that the other way. The first mountain bikes only went down. It's us johnny come-latelys with our fancy derailleurs who go back up too.

My dislikes? Formerly great bike makers who are now just an exercise in badge engineering by one of the big companies *cough* Fisher, Muddy Fox *cough*

riser bars fitted with bar-ends. (although many people will say riser bars generally...and I'd generally agree, although they can sometimes work)

saddles pointing down

different colour anodizing unless very carefully worked out

snowflake wheels

four arm cranks (can't believe it's got to four pages before that one)

Si F

I so glad that other people hate the GT triple triangles as much as I do! Come on, it just adds weight and look bad!!

Very oversize tubing, aaaarrrrggggg!!!!!!

Think it stems fro Raleigh cheapo mtb's that cosmetically tried to look like fat tubed alloy bikes such as Cannondales whilst being made of high tensile steel :shock:

Result is even top end multibutted exotic tube sets look wrong to me if they are oversize.

Skinny steel tubes are the best :D

LongboardSi":2b6dc01e said:
four arm cranks (can't believe it's got to four pages before that one)

Si F

Praise be! I'm with you there brother. They are the devils chainset (infact, all shimano chainsets after m900)

Oh and any 'finishes' on chainsets other than polished as it just looks cheap after 5 minutes (that'll be shimano again)

Chains with joining pins (there's a patern forming here)

And finally I'm not a huge fan of paint on a mountain bike (?). Stems from my childhood where I saved up for years to buy a Raleigh Magnum and then scratched it, I was in bits...So it's Titanium all the way now!!

things that put me off a bike or frame? hmm . . . lets see, bearing in mind i ride modern (sorry :) ) and retro alot of things could put me off any bike.

1. anything made by scott, just hate them, i think the old ones look dull and the newer ones look like to quote someonelse "tupperware" :LOL: or oversized downtubes and chainstays way too much on the mtb's, if you look at the new mtb frames the chainstays must be 2 inches deep!

2. riser bars with bar ends, bar ends pointing up :roll:

3. bad saddle positioning, angled badly or to far forward :x

4. any brand that i feel treats independant shops badly :( , for example, i hated kona :evil: for going into halfords so i wouldn't buy one of those now but i would buy a pre halfords kona if i liked it :)

5. too much anodizing :?

6. too much mixed anodizing, a couple of colours can look good sometimes but every colour under the sun looks utterly poo!

7. matt black. why it became so popular is beyond me! you wouldn't by a car in matt black would you? it just looks so bad. i'm so glad that fad is over, although white is everywhere now which i like but too much of that is bad aswell but as long as it is gloss thats fine!

8. skinny tyres on mountain bikes, for commuting on an mtb don't go less than 1.5, less than that and it looks awful!

9. i agree about long headtubes, awful

10. too many accesories painted, hate painted pedals, bars, stems etc paint should be for the frame and fork only

11. anything with sram gears or gripshift

12. anything with avid disc brakes

13. anything with an isis bb

14. i agree about 29ers, but then i'm not a giant so i can see the point for the taller guy

15. cheap poor quality stuff, you don't have to be a top flight engineer to beable to see the difference between good and bad quality, but i hate the really cheap stuff!

that's to name but a few!! if i have offended anyone i apologise in advance! we all have our pet hates!! :LOL:

Back