What price to pay for a good chromoly GT frame like Avalanche, Bravado or Karakoram?

Black_puma

GT Fan
As someone who's owned many GT bikes in the past and present, I am still hoping to own a nice chromoly steel frame from the early '90's like an Avalanche, Bravado or Karakoram.
So before I place a Wanted post in said section of this wonderful forum, I would like to gauge how much I can expect to pay for a frame or complete bike of that era.
My preference would be a 16" frame as all my GT's past and present are that size which suits me best as I am 5'10 with a short upper torso (I have shrunk about an inch due age and wear and tear in my upper spine).
I would be very happy to find any of the 3 mentioned bikes/frames in a good condition from between 1990 and 1993 and I have areal soft spot for the 1992 models as I owned a number of GT's from that year including my current Pantera AL and 2 Timberline's in both colours available at that time. I spent many hours looking at the GT catalogues and always fancied those aforementioned models.
So, like I said I am just gauging the price and likelihood of finding one in a good condition that I can restore and/or build up.
Anyway, to wrap this up I hope the lovely people here can give me some ideas what to expect and in anticipation of that I would like to thank you in advance for any advice or information offered!

It's going to be a bit difficult for people to give you numbers because there's a lot of variables there, particularly the models. Avalanche or Bravado usually go for a reasonable amount more than Karakoram and condition is key, particularly since a big draw is the beautiful paint. For just the frame I'd say £50-£400 for just the frame depending on model and condition. For models, the value will increase Karakoram>Elite>Avalanche>Bravado>Team Avalanche but on top of that there could be variation based on year as the tubesets changed year to year.
However, buying a complete bike is almost always a better deal even if you then need to sell unwanted components to fund building it how you want.

To add to your confusion, you could broaden your search to include the Corrado, Richter and Ricochet as frames that were on a par with the Karakoram or above. I personally love the 1993 frames, but prefer the 1990-1992 paint schemes.

It's going to be a bit difficult for people to give you numbers because there's a lot of variables there, particularly the models. Avalanche or Bravado usually go for a reasonable amount more than Karakoram and condition is key, particularly since a big draw is the beautiful paint. For just the frame I'd say £50-£400 for just the frame depending on model and condition. For models, the value will increase Karakoram>Elite>Avalanche>Bravado>Team Avalanche but on top of that there could be variation based on year as the tubesets changed year to year.
However, buying a complete bike is almost always a better deal even if you then need to sell unwanted components to fund building it how you want.

To add to your confusion, you could broaden your search to include the Corrado, Richter and Ricochet as frames that were on a par with the Karakoram or above. I personally love the 1993 frames, but prefer the 1990-1992 paint schemes.
Thank you, I forgot about those models, yes they are alternative options and wouldn't dismiss those either as they were as much part of the range as the others were. Obviously the Karakoram, Bravado and Avalanche are the better known models to most people.

Thank you, I forgot about those models, yes they are alternative options and wouldn't dismiss those either as they were as much part of the range as the others were. Obviously the Karakoram, Bravado and Avalanche are the better known models to most people.
Yes, that's true. I have a 1991 Karakoram Elite and a 1993 Richter 8.0 and have previously had a '92 Karakoram, another '91 Elite and a '93 Corrado. Only one of the 5 with decent original paint and that was the boring alternative black '91 Elite colour scheme, so I'd still love one with great original paint. I regret missing the chance to buy a Bravado, but again the paint wasn't original. The 1990 Karakoram paint is very tempting.

This isn't in my immediate area but came up in a search. Seems about right to me. These might be far more common in the U.S.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240628_121057_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240628_121057_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 22
As someone who's owned many GT bikes in the past and present, I am still hoping to own a nice chromoly steel frame from the early '90's like an Avalanche, Bravado or Karakoram.
So before I place a Wanted post in said section of this wonderful forum, I would like to gauge how much I can expect to pay for a frame or complete bike of that era.
My preference would be a 16" frame as all my GT's past and present are that size which suits me best as I am 5'10 with a short upper torso (I have shrunk about an inch due age and wear and tear in my upper spine).
I would be very happy to find any of the 3 mentioned bikes/frames in a good condition from between 1990 and 1993 and I have areal soft spot for the 1992 models as I owned a number of GT's from that year including my current Pantera AL and 2 Timberline's in both colours available at that time. I spent many hours looking at the GT catalogues and always fancied those aforementioned models.
So, like I said I am just gauging the price and likelihood of finding one in a good condition that I can restore and/or build up.
Anyway, to wrap this up I hope the lovely people here can give me some ideas what to expect and in anticipation of that I would like to thank you in advance for any advice or information offered!
Today was a great day as I have taken delivery of a 1992 GT Bravado frame and fork, courtesy of henrysthreeironbands who sold me his 16" frame, see here, a new project for me to build up. This has been a great experience so far with great communication from this member of the forum! Hats off to him for giving me the opportunity to buy this lovely frame and fork! 😁 👏
Looking forward to sourcing parts for it, not necessarily catalogue correct but definitely aim to get as close as possible. I already have a Shimano XT rear derailleur, XT thumb shifters, a Shimano Deore U-brake with flex-guard (came off a 1990 GT Avalanche) and cantilever front brakes.
I also have a zoom stem and True Temper or GT alloy handlebars waiting.
I love the colour, it's very bright and I can't quite believe this came my way so quick, I was expecting to have search high and low to locate a nice example of an early 90's steel GT bike or frame and fork combo. But here we are, this frame and fork was shipped to me from Norway but it was worth the relatively short wait!

Attachments

• 20240813_142428.jpg
    20240813_142428.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240813_142554.jpg
    20240813_142554.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 15
Looks like a great project. Amazing that it came with an original fork. Paint is in decent shape too. I look forward to the results.

Just a quick update on the progress of my new build, the 1992 GT Bravado.
It has now had some parts fitted
Tioga Avenger RX 1 1/1" threaded headset
Zoom stem (120mm length)
GT Aluminium handlebars
Shimano XT hubs laced to Mavic M231 CD rims
Shimano Deore XT front and rear derailleurs
Shimano SLR rear U-brake, Shimano SLR front brakes (taken from a scrapped 1990 Avalanche frame(sadly beyond repair or I would have kept it)
I also have some Shimano XT thumbshifters and pedals waiting for this build.

Attachments

• 20240906_174542.jpg
    20240906_174542.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back