What makes a quality hub?

South Bound

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Guys, bit of a journey, but want (need is pushing it a bit) a new set of wheels for my non-retro FS, just for XC, nothing too hardcore, but must be good quality as I hate buying tat. This will free up the wheels for my Explosif.

Question is what do I really need? The '94 XT hubs fitted to the 94 Kona have done a great job and not caused me any troubles at all, but everyone just keeps telling me how I should have better wheels and what a difference it would make.

Of course, I would love a set of Hope hubs in blue to match the frame on my FS, but do I need the XC or the Pro II? Do I need them at all? Are Ringle hubs as good (LBS says they are)?

Questions questions, but sat here with 2 x 3-year olds watching Dora and needed to escape for a moment.

Id say it should be able to be taken apart easily for servicing and deffo have sealed bearings for a start

King.

Take it apart with two allen keys and marvell at the beauty of the enginering. Ride it for a couple of years and do it again.....and again.....(??).....

Just go for a new XT hub, they still last for ever and regreasing a cup and cone hub is a lot simpler than replacing "sealed" bearings

XT for my rider, no doubt. i am still using the XT M737 i have bought new in 96. 25000km i'd guess. went through 2 rear rims and 1 front but the hubs are still great, no play and smooth and i did not need to adjust or grease them yet. for the price they even beat CK imho. spend the money on good rims and - even more important - a really good build of the wheels.

Carsten

This is what I need, a different perspective. XTs are so cheap in comparison to Hope or CK and it really can't make that much (if any) difference to the ride, just maintainability right?

Think I know which way to go, if only they came in blue!

Will I get stoned if I say that the ticking on my Hope Pro III gets to be a bit annoying after a while?

Yes, I know I should pedal - but it's a single speed, everything else is soo nice and quiet, but coast for a bit and the tranquility is broken ....

Back