What makes a quality hub?

Kestonian":399hmnj6 said:
Will I get stoned if I say that the ticking on my Hope Pro III gets to be a bit annoying after a while?

Yes, I know I should pedal - but it's a single speed, everything else is soo nice and quiet, but coast for a bit and the tranquility is broken ....
I'm with you. I've got a Phil Wood cassette hub on my old Stumpjumper singlespeed, and the *clack*clack*clack*clack* of the pawls drives me nuts and scares the wildlife. I'm thinking about building up a Silent Clutch hub just for a bit of peace and quiet!

On the other hand, Hopes are my dream hubs for commuting. No chance pedestrians won't hear me coming with those babys!

one-eyed_jim":2uao53du said:
Kestonian":2uao53du said:
Will I get stoned if I say that the ticking on my Hope Pro III gets to be a bit annoying after a while?

Yes, I know I should pedal - but it's a single speed, everything else is soo nice and quiet, but coast for a bit and the tranquility is broken ....
I'm with you. I've got a Phil Wood cassette hub on my old Stumpjumper singlespeed, and the *clack*clack*clack*clack* of the pawls drives me nuts and scares the wildlife. I'm thinking about building up a Silent Clutch hub just for a bit of peace and quiet!

I've still got one built up on a 217, twas a commuting wheel and it was lovely. Will be getting used again on a commuter soon. IIRC shimano made this one (alivio) to see if they would introduce it through the range but it never came to anything. The instant pick up is quite cool too.

mattbrown":1h1772wk said:
ting ting ting - deffo a hope hub, can hear them from a mile off

Good for traffic in London as usal pedestrians don't look before crossing :evil: But as soon as they hear the 'Hope' click they look :D Saved me cycling in to them loads of times now :shock:
I like the look of the new Ringle too

This really is a good question.....

I've applied for a cyclescheme voucher through work. I'm getting a bike, new lid and some other stuff, and a pair of new wheels too......

I did think about XT's or Hopes and I'm wondering if the Hope hubs are worth the extra money......

I've been running Hope (XC, Big-un and Bulb) hubs for many years. They are good hubs but not without problems. There is always drag in the freehub which makes the chain go slack when you are in the smallest couple of cogs. The ratchets also tend to die after about 4 years of my use; Hope can replace these in a hub service which costs about £40 and is well worth doing every few years. A bargain when compared with changing the bearings alone as Hope change all of these as well - and you often find that the whole freehub has been replaced. Even when these have jammed in the middle of nowhere it's a no tool job to pull them apart and pick out the jammed pawl and bits of the ratchet ring so you can ride home. I use a little oil in the pawls to make the hub run quieter - grease is too thick and creates even more freehub drag, best to lube little and often. I've never killed the bearings, but I never jet wash my bikes, hell, I almost never clean them either :D

I used to get about a year or two at the most from XT freehub bodies, and when these die with no warning 15 miles from home you are stuffed - unless they are frozen and you can piss on it to thaw it out... but you may as well head home then unless you really are full of piss. Also, riding with the bearing loose for even a short period of time kills the hubs, once there is play in there they need to be binned.

I rode with a chap with a ProII yesterday... boy was it loud. Never tried CK or Ringle hubs... too much cash and I'm happy enough with my Hope hubs. I'd like to try the Royce hubs but again it's far to much pennies.

I like Hope hubs - get the blue ones if thats what you want.

Back