What are your least favourite brands in the world of cycling?

Of componentry makers, Paul's Components.

Overpriced bling with zero improvement of design

Of bike brands, pretty much all of them with some exceptions. Any company that pushes odd proprietary gimmicks and standards.

Shimano - back in the 90s. They effectively became a monopoly in MTB for a while, and some of their stuff like the early rapidfire was utter crap reliability wise. I don't mind them now, but I still hate it when they change standards cf in recent years, free hub sizing. Everyone else seems to have managed to get a 12spd on a normal freehub, why can't the Big S?

Planet-X/On-one have left a bad taste in the mouth on a few occasions due to poor/non-existence customer service, their manipulative sales and discounts and annoying marketing copy designed to make them sound like your best mate who knows a lot about bikes and has got wind of a great deal. Just F' off.

Any manufacturer that prices by name not by what it cost to design and make with a bit of profit.

so that's pretty much every big brand be it bikes, components or clothing. :)

Lezyne. Every product i ever bought of theirs failed when i needed it. Saddle bag fell off, chain breaker snapped, lights went out and never came back on, f***ing stupid pump undid my valve core and unseated my tubeless set up 40 miles from home, then one of their dumb tyre levers snapped too. Overpriced garbage. Since working in the bike trade i've been offered lezyne freebies. I give them to people i don't like.

Lezyne. Every product i ever bought of theirs failed when i needed it. Saddle bag fell off, chain breaker snapped, lights went out and never came back on, f***ing stupid pump undid my valve core and unseated my tubeless set up 40 miles from home, then one of their dumb tyre levers snapped too. Overpriced garbage. Since working in the bike trade i've been offered lezyne freebies. I give them to people i don't like.
Lets hope my lezyne lights don’t go out ehhhh 😅

Specialized and Trek. I saw them as conservative and boring in my teens and that view hasn't changed over the decades...

Back