What are your least favourite brands in the world of cycling?

Let me guess. Some of the good folks from Kona saw some execs or managerial bods from Specialized talking about 'cost per unit', 'shifting units', or something along those lines, and then framed it as 'corporate Spesh and authentic Kona'?
Close. Back in the day at the trade shows Specialized would go up to each manufacturer and ask how many units they'd sold that year.

The rest you've figured out.

Brompton.
Those bikes would be quaint if they were $500ish...but they're not. The fold is great, but the ride is like a shopping cart having a nervous breakdown.

Tune.
Absolutely terrible customer service.

Spez/Roval.
 Try getting parts if your territory's distributor can't be arsed.

Trek, Trek, and Trek…. And all the Trek owned brands by extension… soulless corporate horrors!

I mean I know their bikes are extraordinarily good and often cutting edge and often amazing value but I just hate them…

Right, off to put a wet towel on my head and have a lie down.

Thanks for listening… it’s been better than a couple of 100 quid therapy sessions…

Trek, Trek, and Trek…. And all the Trek owned brands by extension… soulless corporate horrors!

I mean I know their bikes are extraordinarily good and often cutting edge and often amazing value but I just hate them…

Right, off to put a wet towel on my head and have a lie down.

Thanks for listening… it’s been better than a couple of 100 quid therapy sessions…
Oh and Brompton…

“Tell them I never rode a Brompton” is going on my gravestone…

Brompton.
Those bikes would be quaint if they were $500ish...but they're not. The fold is great, but the ride is like a shopping cart having a nervous breakdown.

Tune.
Absolutely terrible customer service.

Spez/Roval.
 Try getting parts if your territory's distributor can't be arsed.

I rather like the ride of the brompton, but a case of great design and crap engineering/manufacture. Admittedly, mine is now 30 years old - but some of parts wear out in rather catastrophic ways. Brake levers that fatigue and snap over time anyone? Also too many proprietary parts, and stuff that needs dealer replacement (eg seat tube inserts).

Last edited:
Back