What’s your lightest <97 MTB

pago79":1occlkig said:
1993 Fat Chance Titanium / 9,20kg
almost all screws, nuts and bolts are titanium or aluminum.
the build was a challenge between a buddy and me who can build the lightest time correct bike. his gt xizang lost at 9,6kg :LOL:

Smaller frame = you cheated :p

My mid 90's build was an alloy concept frame, orange alloy forks with single lx v on the front. Basic alloy stem, roadie crank on single ring on 7 spd with an xt rear mech, kalloy post and bassano saddle. Cant remember the wheels but had a low tread folding Michelin savanna :? I could be wrong with the tyre name :?
I think that was about 16lbs.
Took it to Amsterdam one year maybe about '95 and it got a serious amount of interest. I think the Dutch were still in gas pipe special mode. Unlike today :shock:

Re:

Using a small frame, drilling bits out of the backs of components, cutting tyre nobblies down, replacing all bolts with Ti/Alu, swopping XT parts for LX which were sometimes lighter, short spokes, alloy nipples, Nitrogen in the tubes.....

:LOL:

Re:

My 19'' Breezer Jet Stream weighs about 20lbs with fairly solid parts; Campag Record OR/Icarus mech's and shifters, Arch Supreme/Grey Component brakes + Paul's levers, Campag Mirox/White Industries wheels with Conti Race King Supersonics and latex tubes ..Topline, Ti seatpost and stem, heavy 'trekking' bars and Brooks Swift Ti saddle.
550gm Ti forks save a heap of weight and contribute to a super-supple ride, but nothing seems fragile or flexes unduly ('cept the seatpost, which I quite like)

Re:

My Ritchey P22

The clue is in the name :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But I don't get anal about building a light bike, more for reliable components that do the job well.

Mike

Re:

My '91 Ritchey Super Logic Montana Team is also coming in at around 22lbs, as is my '93 True Temper OX Ultra II Montana Team. Rigid forks on both.

Not bothered about weight really. My Yo feels lightest i have at moment.

Once weighed my bike back in mid '90's, a rigid Kona, it was just over 20lb which i thought was good until a friend weighed his Zaskar with RS and it was under 20lb.

Lightness can be useful, reliability more so.

Mark

Back