WANTED: Someone with a lathe!

no idea, i reckon its the bottom of a pair of forks like a sleeve the outside diameter is 35mm so its not hose size

integerspin":7rcp55yg said:
Looks like an Aeroquip olive to me;-) What is it.

It holds the seal in place on a softtail frame. I decided to redesign it compared to the standard one!

Chute55uk":3io0ew9o said:
well i guess so what does it look like?

The two black plastic shafts arrowed in the (somewhat poor quality)pic below...

MIII.jpg

...I could send you one to copy/modify??

Hmmm maybe but I'm thinking a couple of things, 1. I reckon their plastic for a reason (flexibility) 2. I'm not sure ir something like that would be turned and it would move about somewhat making it almost impossible to stay dialled in on the tool but I will show the pic to the cnc guy and ask his opinion, someone else has asked me to make a steerer and I'm convinced long things like these would normally be pulled (extruded) rather than machined down from stock. But let me ask on Tuesday as the guy knows way more than me about suchness :D

Ideally, those rods would be machined on a sliding head (swiss type) lathe to help maintain straightness, although they could be done on a conventional if they were held in a chuck or collet at one end with a centre at the other.

Steerer tubes can be machined (Thomson seatposts are) but are more likely extruded I would imagine. I've not seen enough different steerers to be properly informed! Again, I'd hold on one end in chuck or collet, centre (tailstop) in the other end to hold it rigid. Machine OD to size. Change workholding to collet to match new OD, drill through and face, reverse job, face to length. Could drill half way on each facing op depending on length of steerer and drills available.

Well a drill won't give the correct Id and there's no tool that's going down a 215mm tube especially if it's being held at both ends :roll:

I'm pretty sure steerer tubes are rolled from flat and seamed I've just looked at a steerer and there is a definite seam running the length

Back