imagesCA67YW2V.jpg

Doosan Lynx 220C

One of these:
imagesCA51DJ1H.jpg

Doosan Puma 230MB

and One of these:
imagesCAFOFEHC.jpg

Citizen L20 Sliding Head

(Library pictures, but we have the same machines!..

Dont have any manuals anymore :(

Chute55uk":10sbrsaz said:
i teach at an engineering college so lathe work is easy for us to do :D

WOW! Students are still taught to use lathes?

I did my O level metalwork practical exam on a lathe, as did one other guy. All the rest of the class were beating bits of copper.

I recently thought I'd find an evening class to brush up my ancient skills, as I have a couple of little EMCO lathes. No such class exists. When I spoke to the Curriculum Manager (who is a close friend), he said the classes were dropped some while ago, due to increasing H&S requirements. :evil:

It's a 1907 Cincinnati. I was still using it till 2008.
I now have a new lathe[1955], which it turns out is a lot more worn than the Cincinnati.

integerspin":35ztf2fi said:
I now have a new lathe[1955], which it turns out is a lot more worn than the Cincinnati.

And yours will still be spinning when the fancy pants ones have cooked all the electronics inside. Some old kit is just plain better for being so simple.

poweredbypies":35gxzgix said:
integerspin":35gxzgix said:

And yours will still be spinning when the fancy pants ones have cooked all the electronics inside. Some old kit is just plain better for being so simple.

Like bikes?

Back when I was a kid, and used to go to the local ice rink, I used to get my skates sharpened - and it was some guy who lived in a normal looking bungalow - but in his garage he had the most amazing collection of huge, metal machinies. Lathes, countless other things - place was well laid out, and he looked like a guy who could make anything out of metal.

When you used to walk up to his house and around the back, you'd just see these bits of metalwork, he'd fabricated - bit's of metalwork made to keep his bin lids on, things like that.

He was a bit of an old timer then (this would be the early, to mid 80s) - he used to charge 50p to sharpen a pair of skates, and he'd often do it while you watched. I suspect he's long gone, now - and makes you wonder what happened to all his kit - most likely scrapped or abandoned.

Back